Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bumper Protection

Discussion in 'F25 X3 (2010-present)' started by Billeis, Jun 15, 2018.

Billeis

I have a new 2018 X3 M40i. Great car. I live in the City and wanted some rear bumper protection. I tried a Bumper Bully after the manufacturer specifically told me it would fit my model. However, the automatic closing hatch would not close with the straps in place. Most bumper protectors attach the same way. Does anyone have any experience with this and options? I have looked at the clear protection but it will not really do what I need it to do and do not want to affix something to the paint.

MGarrison

Have never even heard of a Bumper Bully, but looking at their website, it appears to be a measure you put in place only when parking & stationary. If the basic concept of what they have serves your purpose and the straps are the problem, maybe source some different strap material, assuming something thinner wouldn't also cause a problem for the hatch closing. If nothing else, use the nylon straps off some variety of tie-downs -

The nylon's pretty thin on these puppies (assuming these are the same light-duty ones I have, that is...)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ratchet-...ck-Trailer-Roof-Rack-4-Pack-Stalwart/55500354

If there's some removable trunk tray pieces, maybe there'd be something safe to tie them to under there somewhere (ymmv, use caution & common sense, it's the internet so you get what you pay for advice-wise, if it don't work or breaks something don't say nobody told ya so, nobody's promising a rose garden, yadda, yadda, yadda, etc., etc.!) ;)

You get bumped hard enough of course, the rear fascia's gonna get damaged anyway, but if the Bumper Bully has some cushion and give to it, maybe it helps give the chance of avoiding having the paint cracked, since even though there's a wee little bit of flex to the plastic trim, there's none for the body paint.