Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Broken ignition swith

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by mooseheadm5, Oct 7, 2008.

• Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

All,
    Having this exchange with a member. Thought you all might benefit:

Depends upon what year. If it was built pre-Jan 1995 and the steering is not locked, yes. If after or you cannot unlock the steering, time to call AAA. If you join you get 100 miles of towing a year. I am posting this just for info to others.

mooseheadm5

Yours is a 1997. This could mean that you cannot restart it, but it may be possible. If you can get the car to turn on, but not start you might be able to push start the car (if it is a manual) or jump the starter. If you can't get the car to turn on, but the steering will unlock, you may be able to jump out the ignition switch. If you are up for it, let me know.

mooseheadm5

Well, I am unsure of your skills, but basically, you need to get the car to turn on with the key, even if it won't crank.The steering must not lock if you are going to drive it. With the key in the ignition, the EWS will give you permission to crank the car, so you need to put 12V to the black/yellow wire that comes out of the ignition switch. I suggest using a fused jumper wire. That will make the car crank and it should start. Remember to take the power away once it starts!