Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bilstein Shocks E36

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by jersey325i, Jan 14, 2009.

jersey325i guest

I have a 4dr 1995 325i. I want to redo my shockssince they are still the original shocks from 1995. I want to keep a "soft" ride because it is my daily driver and I want it to have good handling and handle the bumps in the road and highway. I want to get a good set of shocks and have heard Bilstein are the best. I was looking at the touring series but I have been told it may make my car "tighter". Which Bilsteins are best for my car and my desired ride comfort.

EuroWerkz1

E36 Shocks

Dan,

I sell and install all popular brands of dampers and shocks for BMW's and from what you have written I wouldn't even consider the BIlsteins. They are generally stiffer and on an E36 I have found them to offer a fairly harsh ride due to the stiffer rebound settings. I will also however say that I find the Bilstein shocks an extremely good product as far as durability, in fact probably the best in that department. For what you are looking for I would stick with the replacement Sachs/Boge and you will be very happy with the results. If you are going to upgrade looking for better handling performance then I would recommend performance springs with adjustable Koni's as a much better choice.

Enjoy,

Bimmerdan

+1 to what Doug said! I just replaced the shocks/struts on my E36 M3 sedan and since it was a daily driver and not going to see any track use, I wanted to keep the factory ride. I went with the Sachs/Boge all around and could not be happier.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

+1 except that Bilstein Touring shocks are about the same ride as stock, but not sure about the price/quality compared to Sachs/Boge