Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best source for USED Bimmer engine

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by Chi330ci, Oct 9, 2013.

Chi330ci

I have a beautiful 330ci, with only 74k on her. One owner. I need to source a new engine.

I hear LKQ, Autobahn Parts, Bavarian Engine Exchange......but each place lacks worthy reviews.

Where do you guys recommend I source a used engine from?

Thanks!

p.s. - before you start asking, "how did a bimmer with only 74k have catastrophic failure?", let's get a supplier's name first and then I'll answer the tragic question.

charlson89

I have bought from bavarian auto recycling before and it was better then most salvage stuff I have seen before. Here is a link.

http://www.bmrparts.com/

Terry Sayther

Bavarian Engine has a pretty bad reputation in the industry---I avoid them. We use LKQ alot for used parts and they treat us well locally. There's a website called car-part.com that will give you some idea of whats available in your neighborhood---we go there first. We like LKQ because they're big enough to stand behind their parts. They also have extra cost longer warranties available, though we don't buy them.

Engine overheated, I bet. good luck, Terry
    Chi330ci likes this.

Chi330ci

Thanks Terry, I appreciate it. You're correct as well.

The car is in otherwise fantastic shape, so much so that the head tech at Fields BMW put an offer on it. What would be considered a good mileage and compression to look for on an engine? The original M54B30 was a 2001, and only had 74,000 miles. BMW specs state 142-153 as minimum compression test readout, with no more than 7 psi per cylinder. If that is the stated minimum, what is optimum?

Terry Sayther

Sounds like it needs to be fixed. We consider anything under 100k to be low miles, up to 150k is usable but less desirable ['unknown' might be a better description].
    Compression is a crude test, but certainly uneven compression is not ok. We commonly see numbers as high as the low 200s---but any of those is fine as long as they are pretty even in all the cylinders. If I measure one with really high compression numbers, say 220-230 in all cylinders, I start wondering if there is carbon build-upon the pistons. I'd probably still use that engine though.

Chi330ci

Thanks Terry, I really appreciate the input.