Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Best 15" summer performance tires for the E30?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by stevehecht, Nov 27, 2013.

stevehecht

This is my first post after rejoining BMWCCA after a couple years' hiatus. I'll be purchasing an F30 next year so I figured I'd better get back in the circuit.

This past year I was "forced" to buy 15" A/S tires for my 1990 coupe because the available summer performance choices on TR were not to my liking. They were (and are):
    Direzza DZ101(Ultra High Performance Summer)

Yokohama S. Drive (Ultra High Performance Summer)

After reading users' reviews and test reviews I decided to go with Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (Ultra High Performance A/S). I'm happy with the tires considering that they're all-season. (Plus they let me drive later into the winter and put them back on sooner in the spring than summers.) I got a very good price on the 960s because they were on close-out.

I just want to make sure that I'm not missing out on any 15" summer performance tires that are better than the Dunlops and the Yokohamas. I'm aware that TR doesn't have everything. Thanks in advance!

MGarrison

225-50's? 205-50's?

stevehecht

205/50s--a bit better in snow. It's not great in even light snow, so I thought I'd go more narrow for a bit of an edge there. It handles fine but not like the Michelin summer performance tires I had before.

stevehecht

Answering my own question, I did find the 195/55/r15 BF Goodrich g-Force Sport Comp-2 that will fit. It won its comparison test at TR and has good overall consumer reviews. With the rebate now on at TR I can get a set for $238--that's hard to beat, so I'm going to buy a set now. I'll hold on to my Potenza 960s just in case, because noise seems like it might be a problem after 5K miles with the Comp-2s, which for me is a summer season's worth of driving anyway.