Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Backrest adjustment on coupe

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by dsmith, Jan 6, 2016.

dsmith

I'm the new owner of a 2009 E92 and have my first mechanical problem. My sister pulled up the convenient entry lever on the passenger seat to get into the back, and the backrest stuck in the forward position. After reading the pertinent section in the manual, I pushed back harder on the backrest, and it released and flopped all the way back and locked. Pulling the lever up released it so it would swing back forward, but would not stay in the normal upright position. It wants to flop either all the way forward or backward and lock.

I've studied the manual carefully and tried all obvious maneuvers. None works, including the electrical adjustment. Did we break something, or am I missing something?

charlson89

Sounds like the mechanical lock for that feature is not allowing it to lock in the normal position. Do you have electric or manual seats?

dsmith

There are both electrical and manual controls. The electrical backrest adjustment hummed when I lifted on it but had no effect.

charlson89

Ok something is going on with the stops for that feature which is mechanical and you already know. Would have to inspect the seat to find out what happened.

dsmith

Thanks for piping up, Charlson.

I finally got it to work by pushing it back all the way and then raising it into upright position with the electrical seatback control which finally worked. Now I'm nervous about fiddling with the seat back at all. I need to find someone in my area who has a late model coupe and get some instruction.

charlson89

Well actually that makes sense since the seat back stops for the easy entrance feature works off the electric backrest adjustment. So when you put the seat all the way back with the backrest adjustment and use the easy entry feature the seat will return to the back to where you originally had the backrest adjustment. Does that make sense?