Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Another loud N55 turbo waste gate...

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by BimmerChad, Mar 10, 2011.

BimmerChad guest

2011 335i Convertible.

Around 4k miles I started to develop a pronounced grunting or groaning sound when slowing toward stop-lights.

When I first brought it in, my SA pulled the shop foreman out to hear the sound. Prior to even saying "Hello" he said: "Well, I don't think it's a waste gate issue." That was the giveaway (wishful thinking on the part of the foreman).

They first reported "sand and gravel caught between the exhaust heat shielding and chassis." They "fixed" it by bending the shielding. Of course, as soon as I drove it home from the shop, the sound developed again.

I brought it in again, and my SA told me it was probably a turbo waste gate issue. They had the car for three days checking all systems leading up to the waste gates. Finding those in order, they "adjusted" (I couldn't get any more info out of my SA) the gates and pronounced it fixed.

I just picked it up at lunch time. The most immediate thing I noticed was the turbo hesitates a little now and bucks a bit when it kicks in. The drive home tonight will tell if the problem's gone.

So these N54/N55 waste gate problems sound fairly common. Anyone with a similar issue? How'd it work out for you?

ForcedInduction guest

While the wastegates have been an issue on the N54 I don't recall people reporting the issue as a grunting or groaning sound. Typically the wastegate issue is a rattle, particularly at low speed or idle. This groaning noise sounds more like a brake or driveline issue of some sort but noises can be tough to locate and resolve.

BimmerChad guest

You know, that's what I'd read as well. Most people described the wastegate sound as rattling or clanging. I did expect the foreman would know but the SA jumped on that as the issue quickly.

Yeah - I'm certain after driving it, the wastegate adjustments didn't have any affect on the noise. In fact, it is heat dependent and I can reproduce it in neutral just by revving the engine between 800 and 1K RPM once I start hearing it. It sounds like a resonance...

I'm taking it back in as soon as I reproduce the sound.