Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

98 328 Alarm Issue

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by my98328, Apr 15, 2010.

my98328 guest

My wife was driving my 98 328 last night. When she came home she said a alarm was going off. When you open the drivers side door a loud alarm sounds until you close the door and start the engine. My car has very low miles (70,000) and has never had an issue. All of the obvious devices are turned off. I have tried all of the lights and the car alarms system. All doors are closed and the truck is shut. I am really scratching my head for answers. Does anyone have any ideas for me. The manual is not helping me out much.

bcweir

Just a guess, but you may have a stuck switch or a bad relay.

Aside from testing every switch, contact, and relay, you might need to have it checked by a professional.

cwbiii guest

There's always one thing you can try and thats a major system reset... simply disconnect the battery in the car and then turn on a few things to drain down any
    stored charges... usually a light bulb does very well. Opening the door is often enough. One warning, sometimes this gives issues with stored functions like seat settings. It also usually resets the driver asessment functions so it will take the computer and transmission (auto) a while to relearn your driving habits. But since it basically resets every electronic function in the car it will often fix wierd electronic issues. It also resets your ECU and monitoring functions so don't do it if you plan to get an state inspection (soon) or you will need to drive 100 miles for the computer to get enough information to get a valid reading for the plug in part of that test.

Chuck