Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

87 325ic Tranny/Shift Linkage/Clutch?

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by jojomosgo, Apr 1, 2008.

jojomosgo

Well, I'm having an issue with my 87 325ic, actually I'm having a few issues, but the one I'm focusing on right now is my inability to put it in 3rd gear. This baby has roughly 130K on the original clutch. I can't remember when the last time the tranny fluid was changed. It sounds to me like the throw out bearing is shot (rather loud and continuous whine when the clutch is not depressed). I can shift into all gears, including reverse, except 3rd. When I try to put it in 3rd it grinds, like the syncros are not lining up. I can sometimes get it into 3rd, but very seldom. So, is it the shift linkage, the tranny, the clutch or all three...

mjweimer

Start with the easy items first. Jack up the car and secure it on jack stands, make sure it is level. Check the oil level in the transmission, inspect the shift linkage for binding (have a helper run it through the gears while you watch) and for good measure bleed the slave cylinder.

If all of this does not make a change then it may be the third gear syncro is shot.

Get that throwout bearing replaced before it seizes!

Matt

jojomosgo

Matt, thanks for responding to my post. The plot thickens a bit though. I googled "throwout bearing seize" and came up with this:

The classic symptom of a worn throw-out bearing is a whirring or growling sound when applying the clutch pedal, which goes away when releasing the pedal.

In my case the noise is more of a whine which goes away when the clutch is depressed.

Also, I noted this morning while driving into work, that I can get it to go into 3rd, I just have to hold the clutch in, let the revs fall down to idle speed, engage the clutch, there is a grabbing that I can feel through the shift lever (like the lever lurches a bit in my hand) and then off I go in 3rd.

Does this sound more like bad shift linkage or bad syncros? If the synchros are bad does that spell new transmission or should I start by replacing the tranny fluid with Red Line?

mjweimer

I must have read your post too fast and did not pick up on the most important word (depressed) when you were describing the noise. Whoops.

Could the noise be a seized pilot bearing or a bad input shaft bearing?

I am not sure why the transmission is acting like you describe. I would think a bad syncro would be as evident at idle speed as at any other speed but maybe not. There may be some other internal damage to the trans (shift fork, etc.) and I am not sure how to troubleshoot these other potential issues.

It may be a good idea to drain and change the trans fluid. This will allow you to inspect for odd metal shavings, etc.

Matt

MissingParts guest

:(Go ahead and start looking for a replacement tranny mine did the same thing for about 6 mos. (I just drove without using 3rd ) then 4th gear stated to do it too. When it was disassembled I found ther was to much damage to justify rebuliding it.I found a good used one and rebuilt it instead.I also put in a new clutch kit ,shifter bushhings,piolt bearing,and mounts .It works great NOW!:D:D

jojomosgo

where did you find the tranny? Whose clutch kit did you use?

Thanks,
    Joe

MissingParts guest

I got that one at a salvage yard locally for $400.00 .It was in good condition and probally could have been installed the way it was but as a shop owner / tech ,I rebulit it (remember I drove 6mos. without 3rd) so better safe than sorry.I used a sachs clutch kit ,it comes with everything but a piolt bearing.The ransmissions change for the 88 model year but you will need to check so you don't get the wrong one (the shifter console is different and mounts differently. I think the 1st type goes from 84-6/88.If you send me the last 7 digits of your vin I'll check it in the ETK (parts catologe) to see which one you need .
    Bill
    PS I have an 85 parts car with a good 5sp if you need the early type my 84 is an auto and it won't work in my 89.