Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

335d or 335xi?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by bigriffi, Jun 3, 2009.

bigriffi

Ok, long time BMW Roundel reader, never really posted here.

My story: I bought a 2001 330xi in 2003 with 13,000 miles on it, almost new. I LOVE this car, it has driven well from day one, that BMW feeling and it is simply awesome in the snow with winter wheels/tires. It has plenty of acceleration as my everyday driver, although we always want more, right? It now has 84,000 miles and I am prepared to get my next set of winter tires (bought new summers last spring).

So, then the 335d comes along. I read about the 330d in Roundel in 2006 and thought, that'd be fun to have and better gas mileage and torque, torque, torque!

I test drove it the other day and it is very nice, torquey and just shoves you into your seat, especially 30-50 or 50-70 passing, which I think is very real world. It is RWD, but I am going to get winter tires anyway.

The 335xi on the other hand is about what I dreamed about when I got the 330xi, and thought of plopping an active werks supercharger in there to get more oomph. That said, it's still my daily driver, I do not track it and have autocrossed it a couple times in 6 years. ( maybe I'd do more if I bought one of these!)

The 335xi does not have the better gas mileage, although I bet it matches my 20-24 mpg I get now.

So what do you guys think? I'd love some feedback.
    Bill

az3579

I would go xi purely because it has the option of having a manual.

If the diesel had a manual tranny, I wouldn't understand why anyone would buy a regular 335, but that simply isn't the case.

bigriffi

yeah, I love manuals too, until I sit in Chicago traffic.

I am getting an auto, this is my daily driver. In an ideal world, I'd have this and a Z4 or Boxster to use when I had the manual itch......

granthr

I am a huge fan of the diesel and would vote for that. It will still do well in snow with snow tires, but you will have to feather that throttle in slippery conditions. All that torque is your enemy in snow.

So I guess the question is, how much heavy winter driving do you do. If you absolutely need to drive in heavy snow to get to work and RWD won't cut it, your hand might be forced. But, if your 330xi was your first AWD/4WD car and in the past you got by fine with 2WD, then the Diesel might work..

Good Luck!

bigriffi

I guess my AWD need is predicated on how fast the plows get out in suburban Chicago. I have always liked being able to just go and drive in the heavy snow, but then it became an exercise to watch out for other fools who are NOT in control.

Reality is, the roads are plowed so fast, usually within hours, that I hardly ever drive in real heavy snow. I don't live in the mountains.

That said, when I first spin out in the neighborhood due to 425 ftlbs of twisties, I'll ....... well, I'll be smiling!

And, in control of course..... :)

granthr

Then I say GO DIESEL!!!! :D Just throw a pair of light garden gloves in the trunk for when you fill up at those oily truck stops. :D That is what my mother does, she has a Jetta TDI. In fact my parents have always had at least one diesel car in the fleet, since 1980 and at one point had three!

I am holding out for a 123d or 323d With sport package of course! :)

az3579

I fear you may be waiting for a long time.

I so wish the diesel had a manual. It would offer you more precise control in the winter, but I suppose you could just slam it in 1st gear (or 2nd) with the paddles and call it a day.

And if you want to go sideways, just put it in 2nd gear, revving 'bout 1-1.5k rpm and floor it. Looooooads of fun while still having a slow-speed slide and in-control. :D

A nice upside is that the diesel now qualifies for a $500 BMWCCA rebate. :)