Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

325 i carpet threshold trim

Discussion in 'E36 (1992-1999)' started by 484912, Apr 16, 2014.

hello does anyone know how to install the plastic trim that holds the carpet down where the threshold ends and the carpet begins ? Does the plastic holding tabs go in the holes first ,or do the tabs go into the threshold then the whole assembly goes into the holes?

MGarrison

I don't know E36's - E30's & E34's, it's tricky; removing, just pulling that up breaks the trim, so it takes sliding it off. Sliding it back on might be the best way, although it seems like you ought to be able to pull out the clips, and, having replacing whichever broke upon extraction, snap the trim & clips back in all at once. Unfortunately, I think there may be too much gap/flex in the slide tracks that fit the clips, and that combined with needing to compress the carpet, means it may be difficult to get all the clips to snap in because you can't apply enough pressure and then you can't even see if the clips are seated and locking the trim in, and maybe there's a risk of breaking the trim pieces from the pressure to snap the clips in. You might try the fast way first, and see if you can snap in the clips by pushing on the trim. Not sure what might be the best tool to try... wrap the tip of a large flat-blade screwdriver with a rag, hold the handle end in place, place the tip flat on the trim directly over the clip, and lean on the screwdriver shaft in an attempt to apply enough pressure to snap in the clip without breaking the clip or the trim? I'd tend to think that fast, sharp pressure, like some sort of blow or trying to tap in the clip with a hammer and some implement directing the force, would just break the clips, at least. That's one of those things I'd like to see how they do it at the factory.

It's likely that if you're re-using clips that you've pulled out of the holes, they may just tend to collapse rather than snap in.

i put in new clips with a nail set no problem but aligning 8 clips with 8 slots on the threshold pc was impossible they kept twisting and could not line up straight and same depth to engage the channels was futile maybee put clips in slots and smack down entire threshold with clips already installed, there has to be an easier way I'm sure the original factory install did not struggle like this hopefully someone knows how they did this