Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

323iT instrument cluster issues

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by lucaspepke, May 4, 2009.

lucaspepke

Hey everyone :)

I have a 2000 e46 323iT wagon (5 speed) with 130XXX miles, and I love it...

BUT...

Yesterday I went to start the car and the instrument cluster went on the fritz. The problem has yet to correct itself. The following is what I am experiencing. Please keep in mind that the car is running great!

1. Speedometer is not working and thus my mileage is not increasing
    2. DSC light is on
    3. ABS light is on
    4. Brake light is on
    5. The gas gauge fluxes as does the computer's remaining mileage gauge (ie it will go from 422 miles remaining to 353 miles when going from the interstate to city driving)

Basically the only thing that is working is the tachometer and the heat gauge.

Anyone have any tips? Is it an easy fix (loose wire, dirty sensor)?

Thanks

Lucas Pepke
    :D

NOTE: I am probably driving about 30 mph when this picture was taken

[IMG]

mrglock

When my 1999 e39 528i did the same thing, it was the wheel sensors and some module that controlled them. It was a pretty pricey repair. $800 or so at the dealer.

az3579

That's a cheap repair "at the dealer". Elsewhere you can probably have it done for maybe half that price.

mrglock

I don't know if somewhere else could have done it. There was some issue with doing the EPROM. That my be dealer only serviceable item. :mad:

lucaspepke

Thanks for the replies! I didn't have a chance to take it to my mechanic (not the local dealer, but a BMW tech non the less), but I will let you know ASAP. Hopefully I can get it done for around $500...here's to hoping!
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Sounds like the ABS module crapped out on you. Expect a new one to cost around $4-800 or you can have yours remanufactured by Modulemasters or other remanufacturers (I heard ATE can do it and there is a local EE that can do it as well.) For your iny to do it with a new one, they need an Autologic or GT1.If they have your ABS module reman'd they won't need to do any reprogramming.