Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

3 series or 5 series?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO, May 31, 2010.

JAMAICAN TWIN TURBO guest

This might start a little controversy, but remember we are all Bimmer drivers, and we all love bimmers no matter what series...BUT

Within the past 15 years which series do you think is the most reliable? The 3 series or the 5series?

I had a 2003 530i and that car, although beautiful, was always in the shop! I mean it had 123,000 miles on it but man... I had to replace my rear shift differential@ 80,000 miles, replace torque converter in my transmission@ 85,000miles, among other costly crap.

I now own a 2007 335i, and right now it's the dealer about to get the high pressure fuel pump replaced, at 54,000 miles, although the high pressure fuel system is on a 10year 120,000 mile warranty.

So I have nooo idea which model is more reliable. Excepting any and all answers/examples!

Thanks guys!!!
    Sincerely..The problem starter. :cool:

tiFreak

I've only been stranded once when my E30's master cylinder sh*t the bed and locked up my rear wheels, my 318ti had to have the alternator replaced at 132k and currently needs the cooling system rebuilt

other than that, never had a problem with any of my 3-series

my dad owns a 97 M3, never had a problem with that, but he also owns an 06 530xi and that's had quite a few problems, his air suspension in the back leaks, he gets random "coolant low" messages, his battery's going dead after sitting for a while

eam3

Not that either one has been "unreliable" but I've had a couple of unscheduled visits to the dealer for our 535i (once for the HPFP) whereas my 330Ci has never asked for a single thing (and it has almost 9K miles more than the 5).

Ah yes. I used to get the low coolant message all the time in my 2003 530i. I kept losing coolant because of a leak in my radiator. Aftet i got the radiator replaced i was good. The worse part about leaks in the 5 series, is that they never hit the ground so you can never be sure where its leaking from.

Got my high pressure fuel pump replaced. Day 1 no issues. Lets see if the 3 series treats me better than my 530i...