Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2014 X5 35d

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by g8teach, Jul 28, 2014.

g8teach

I'm curious if there are any other motor oils available other that the Castrol products sold by the dealerships for the new 3.0L diesel engine . Looks like Red Line Euro Series has the correct specs. I have used their reg synthetic oil in other BMW gas engines with success. Does anyone have any experience with this product in a recent model BMW diesel engine. Any other synthetic oils any one can suggest.

MGarrison

Amsoil might have something that meets the specs, whatever they are.

floydarogers

There are many LL-04 low saps oils available. You need to look for them a bit, and ensure that they have the LL-04 spec. Amsoil and Royal Purple have oils that they "claim" meet specs, but they don't pay for the actual acceptance. If the bottle doesn't have LL-04 on it, ensure that it's ACEA A3/B3-B4/C4 (the API specs - usually SM/CF - are laughably useless.)

Pentosin is sold at O'Reilly's and is the easiest for me.
    Liqui Moly, Motul Specific and Quaker State make LL-04 products. Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30, Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30, and Total Quartz INEO MC3 5W-30 are relatively easy to find - NAPA carries the Mobil 1 product, I believe. I'm sure that Shell makes a product - oh, yes, it's Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5W-30. Some people are using the Shell Rotella T6, which is actually for heavy-duty trucks.
    charlson89 likes this.