Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2012 Z4 35is

Discussion in 'E89 Z4 (2009-present)' started by MPHCPA, Oct 25, 2011.

MPHCPA

Which engine is used in th 2012 Z4 35is...N54 or N55? Is it a Twin Turbo or Twin Scroll?

Thanks
    Marty

Taxed

N54, it is the highest factory tune for this engine and is the same as the motor in the 335is and the 1 series M coupe. Although marketed by BMW as twin power with a single turbo (N55) this actually really is a twin turbo motor. 335HP/332lb/ft torque. Regular N54 is 300/300. This motor has uprated cooling (intercooler, oil and radiator IIRC) I believe besides the M3, only the Z4 35is and the 335is can be order w the double clutch transmission.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Same Question, but mine's a 2011. Everything in the sales brochure points to twin scroll. Everything in the Auto Mags says Twin Turbo. My money's on Twin Turbo, but why the big mystery?

MPHCPA

I do not have a clue as to the mystery. I gotta believe it's twin turbo jsut by the way it drives. Close to my 2008 335xi. Comes on strong. Contrast this to my 2011 335xi twin turbo nice but no real kick ( of couse it has an efficiency dynamics sticker and we all know what ED is! The cure of ED is twin turbo!).

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

My 2010 335i had the N54 twin turbo. Easy enough to tell the difference visually. I thought there might be a code in the VIN, but the final answer may require a little under hood inspection.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Had to drop by my BMW service center to put some locks on those pricy wheels & according to the service writer, the 2011 Z435is is running the twin scroll turbo set up. Not sure if that makes it official, but I would hope the service team knows what's under the hood...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

N54: two turbos. N55: one turbo, siamesed inlet scroll. "Twin Power Turbo" is BMW-Speak for "They'll Pay More If They Think There Are Two!"

If your service writer thinks the Z435is has only one twin-scroll turbocharger, then he is an idjit. Or I am. Or I was drunk and passed out when they changed everything.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Here is the confusing data on the Z435is engine:

Here is the N55 Z435i: No, wait---I can't even find a similar page!

But if you go to the link above, you'll see an image of the N54 engine. See those two manifolds? Each feeds a different turbocharger. Count the ehausts and cats.

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Pretty crowded under this hood, but I can now see the two output lines converging into one & feeding into the intercooler. I'm now an N54 believer. Now how do I break this news to my service writer...

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well, you have to admit that BMW seems intent on obscuring the differences between the N55 and the N54 engine, and their "Twin Power" bullshit doesn't help. At first I thought the N20 four might have two turbos, because BMW makes a two-liter four-cylinder DIESEL with twin turbos, but noooo---the N20 is sort of an N55 with two cylinders lopped off.

Here's what BMW said when the N55 engine came out for the 2011 models:

Beginning with model year 2011 production, several BMW models (135i, 335i, 535i, 535i Gran Turismo, X5 xDrive35i, and X6 xDrive35i) will switch to the new, single twin-scroll turbocharged inline-6 “N55” engine. The newest BMW inline-6 engine is the first BMW inline-6 to combine turbocharging, High Precision direct fuel injection, and Valvetronic variable intake technology. It features a single, mid-sized turbocharger with a “twin-scroll” housing to boost performance and minimize the response lag. Together, this combination produces the same at 300hp and 300 lb-ft of the previous N54, but the fuel efficiency improves and the emissions are reduced.

A further advantage of turbocharging is that this is the most weight-efficient method to boost engine power and performance. The N55 turbocharged inline-6 weighs approximately 150 lbs. less than an equally powerful eight-cylinder engine displacing 4.0 liters. This lower weight means a significant advantage not only in fuel economy, but also in balancing the car's weight distribution.

Using Valvetronic for the first time on a turbocharged inline-6 allows the engine to “inhale” air for combustion with virtually no delay and with reduced pumping losses. As a result, the engine makes power more quickly than ever before, and this is proven by the N55’s ability to reach peak torque at 1200rpm, 200rpm earlier than its twin-turbo predecessor [N54].

They also mention the "turbocharger system" for the Z435is, but again carefully avoid mentioning the difference between the N54 and the N55 engine. Since the N4 is now reserved only to the 1 Series M coupe and the Z435is, you have an extremely rare BMW ("rare" does not necessarily imply valuable, just scarcity). And your particular car in Atacama Yellow (part of the Citrus Yellow package) is the only BMW extant that had me pondering a new car---except that it was unavailable with a six-speed manual.

Maintain it religiously and drive it forever. You got a good one!

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

This is my 3rd BMW. First a 2006 M Roadster & then a 2010 335i Convertible, combined I have logged about 45,000 miles in some pretty fancy rides. They get an "Old School" maintenance plan that would make you proud. I drove the 3 pedal cars for years, but that 1-2 shift on the M drove me to the dark side. I'll treat the new "Bee" like a baby in case you decide some day to trade in the M-Ster. Safe Travels

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Heh! I'm laying out the flame designs already! (Ghost flames using just a hint of red pearl; they'd be invisible until seen in exactly the right light, when they would appear a reddish oarange. . .)

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Okay, I'm feeling the Black Racing Stripe vibe, keeping with my "Bee" image, but I like the way you're thinking!

Attached Files:

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I must admit that when we redid the Motorsport stripes on my white car, and laid ghost flames over the stripes, Party A was rather insistent that they be subtle. That's why I have to point them out to people who otherwise would never see them! "See? See? Just bend your head over this way. . . now squint. . . ."

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

You know what, I'm happy to see BMWs wearing something other than the standard grey to black pantone colors. Buying these cars is is only half the story, then you have to figure out how to have some fun. Got Joy?

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Any truth to the claims that K&N air filters will increase the performance on these cars? I have one on my V8 Pick Up & it seems to make a difference, but will that translate to the hi-tech direct injection systems in today's rides?

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Science leans towards high risk, low reward. See Tech Talk review. Good to know.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

You have an N54 E89 that's faster than my M roadster and you want MORE PERFORMANCE?!

As soon as you're out-driving the car beneath you, then we'll talk. And no #$%! air filter enters into this conversation. I'd ask Stevie D if the programs he wrote for the N54 335i will work in the Z4...

shelbyvnt Baby Bee...

Here in Texas, rainy weekends make us all a little crazy. Washed & waxed the car in between the raindrops. Put the Bee away & had too much screen time on my hands. My team at work always know when there's rain in the forecast. No Sun, No Bee.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Oh.
    My.
    God.
    I just got it: BEE MW because it's YELLOW! Like. . . like a BEE!
    Somebody shoot me...