Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2012 328i low oil pressure

Discussion in 'BMW' started by jsferra1, Oct 3, 2017.

jsferra1

Hello,

The other day my son was driving to work and his low oil pressure light came on, we pulled over and had the car towed to BMW they said they think it's his timing chain the tech is out and when he gets back he will look in to it.

The car was a 2012 CP and the CO warranty just ran out about 600 miles ago, I was told they have a service Billiton but we are over by 600 miles my question is shouldn't this have been taken care of before we got the car since it was a CP.?

Is there anything we can do to get it covered since it was a CP and the issue is a know on the N20's

MGarrison

There may be a chance that BMW _might_ offer some degree of goodwill coverage towards repair, it's not necessarily unheard of, but that doesn't mean it's likely. Don't know how likely with whatever particular issue(s) are found with your car. I'd suggest contacting the club's ombudsman for advice and suggestions on how to proceed.

https://www.bmwcca.org/ombudsmen

jsferra1

MGarrison,

Thanks for the info, maybe we should wait to see what the dealer has to say but then maybe we should check in I just don't know what they are going to tell my son, I do know they said they will see what they can do but we are still waiting for them to tell us what is wrong we where told the tech has been out for a couple of day's I don't know why they don't have more than one but maybe there busy don't know ...

jsferra1

Well got the call they want over 5,000 dollars wow

charlson89

What was the diagnosis of the issue? Did they do a oil pressure test?

jsferra1

Talked to my son he said they opened the valve cover and checked the error code and judging by the sound what he was seeing under the valve cover and the error codes they said it was the timing chain the service advisor said the service bulletin that was issued for the N20'S engine had a milage limit and he is just 600 miles over it.

Do you think there is anything that can be done for him.

jsferra1

They said a timing chain and guide I believe needs to be replaced

MGarrison

If it's definitely a known issue, I would guess there's a chance of some goodwill repair or expense covered (or partially) on the part of BMW corporate. You could see if the dealer would make some contact efforts through the BMW service chain (if that's applicable & however that works) to see what if anything might be done that way, or contact BMW yourself. I suggested above to contact the club's ombudsmen because they have experience with these types of matters & perhaps may have suggestions on the best way to contact, communicate with, or approach BMW so you might stand the best chance of getting whatever goodwill repair/coverage that might be had. Since 600 miles is so close to the warranty mileage and probably not more than two weeks of daily driving or even a good weekend road trip, there's logic to the thought that you're not out of a reasonable window of expectation for the issue & BMW doing something about it if they're flexible on the mileage vs. the strictest terms of the CPO warranty. But, hope is one thing, the actual warranty terms are another.

charlson89

Contact BMW they will probably help in some way with this.