Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2011 - E90 - Burger Power Box versus Turner Performance ECM Reflash - Insight?

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by dvenneman, Sep 19, 2016.

dvenneman

Hi. I have a 2011 328i Sedan, manual transmission, base model. No tunes to date. I am the original owner with 80,000 + miles. 18" M270 wheels added for cosmetics and perhaps a smidge of weight reduction.

I have read what Burger and Turner have to say regarding their ECM options. Turner goes beyond Burger in that they can also tune for an anticipated cold air intake and performance exhaust. Turner is more expensive and ECM must be shipped. Burger is less expensive and requires installer to do some light rewiring. I anticipate that the map selection on the Burger product might be annoying, but it would appear you can select a map, say Map 3, and leave it, so not too big a factor (?).

Can someone with experience with either Burger or Turner or both comment on the tune choice/experience?

Thanks!

charlson89

I don't recommend burger system mainly because it is what we call a piggy back system as is plugs into the stock wiring harness with a interface box. The turner one is flash program to the DME done through software much better and safer way. Have you looked into dinan at all?

dvenneman

Thanks for your input! Yes, briefly - I inquired at dealer. I left with the impression that Dinan has far more to offer on M series and turbocharged sixes. Regards, Dana

MGarrison

You can check it yourself, but using the Dinan website, doesn't show any engine tuning products for your N52, just a K&N filter and a scan tool. It would appear that your impression of "far more" (tuning-wise) for other models is correct, since just about anything is more than the 'bout zip-zilch-nada Dinan's got for your engine!

Since Turner is the exact same price, I wonder if it's actually just Active Autowerke's....

http://store.activeautowerke.com/pr...8i-bmw-128i-n51-n52-performance-tune-software

dvenneman

Mr MGarrison thanks for verifying my recall about Dinan offerings on the naturally aspirated N52. Ill check the link.

I've thought for some time that Bimmer should publish an article on tuning for the everyday enthusiast "stuck" in the 328 and wanting just a bit more monster behind I nd the curtain.

Regards, WDV

dvenneman

Hi Charlson89, I went with Turner...I'll post my thoughts after I install it. (the other advantage is removal of the speed limited, which Burger doesn't do)

charlson89

Let us know how that goes!

dvenneman

Hello all. Today I successfully removed the ECU from my 2011 328i sedan to send to Turner Motorsports. I spent an hour or so yesterday, and perhaps half an hour today. There are definitely some basic things to know about getting access to it that Turner's removal instructions don't explain. I took some photos and will upload them later.

This is definitely something the patient DIYer can do. Bullying the plastic components without knowing how they work will ruin your day.

So without the photos, a couple of things: removing the environment filter housing is easy, just a handful of 8mm bolts and there are ample videos out there. After that, removing the plastic housings at the firewall forward (and over the engine cover) have some clips and hoses that are really simple, but there are very few videos and those that exist do not show you how to unclip them.

Getting access to the ECU box: the front and back slides are diagramed on the box. The lateral black clips are not. You have to reach under them and pull outward and lift up. Once you get to the connectors, there are two lateral locks that have to be pulled out, like an inch, in opposite directions < [ xxxxxxx ] > then you lift up the connectors from the ECU easily. then there are two obvious retaining clips (clear/yellow/white) that hold the ECU in place. It slides up after gently pulling them away from the flange.

Have an anti-static bag to slide the ECU into right away. Ship...carefully. With insurance.

Pix and other details to follow.

charlson89

Thanks for the update!

dvenneman

ECU installed. A check engine code to clear. Waiting on the Swabben code tool to be delivered to my home. I have not pushed it yet. However:

THROTTLE LAG IS GONE!

charlson89

Good to hear let us know how it feels once you get into it!

dvenneman

Just saw my old thread - this software update has been great and now w cold air intake its fabulous!

charlson89

Great to hear!