Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2009 328xi Idle Flutter Solution

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by JamesNChernoff, Nov 11, 2016.

JamesNChernoff

I have a 2009 328xi sedan manufactured 07/09 and was experiencing idle flutter at a stop. After going through several forum threads from different sources I was hearing that this was related to a vacuum leak. However, when I stopped by a local mechanic to schedule a service for this he mentioned the possibility of one or more coils being defective. He had also pointed out that I had an air pump so the vacuum from the brakes was unlikely. I was unable to schedule the service due to my schedule but I did act on his assessment and ordered 6 new Bosch coils and 6 new spark plugs. It took me about an hour to replace all the coils and plugs (once I got the correct plugs). It turns out that the threaded portion of the initial plugs I ordered, Bosch ZGR 6 STE 2, were too skinny for the engine. What caused this was that my 2009 changed in mid-year. So I called the vendor BMA auto parts and they were very helpful in working with me to exchange these for the OEM NGK PLZFR6A plugs. And for the normal shipping they overnighted them to me from CA to MA. Needless to say the engine runs great and this DIY project cost me just $207.
    MGarrison likes this.

MGarrison

Always nice when the first diy attempt resolves the problem! :)

charlson89

Great to hear that you were able to fix this yourself.