Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2008 550i - plugs require replacement at 27,000 miles ????????

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by jrpisha, Sep 27, 2011.

jrpisha

I had my 2008 550i at the dealer yesterday for a few nagging issues & an oil change. Upon plugging my key fob into their computer, the service writter informed me that the car's computer was calling for plug replacement - at just under 27,000 miles. They were replace FOC under the maintenance warranty.

Has anyone else had this experience ? What happened to the 100,000 mile interval platinum plugs that BMW used to install in their cars ? Back in the days of mechanical points & condenser based distributors, I remember short service life for plugs. With today's electronic direct ignition systems, I thought plugs would go at least 50,000 miles...

John

technicaltech

Hello John, I know at the

I know at the dealer I saw CBS (condition based service) data promting replacement of items at incorrect intervals. More often than not the cbs data was corrupted either from programming/coding, or the original start date of service was not entered correctly during the pre-delivery inspection. This data information can be checked and if necessary corrected. I would also recommend looking at the cbs data sheet and checking the other items to make sure they read correctly.