Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2008 335i Turbo Lag from dead stop

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by phygenius, Dec 14, 2008.

phygenius guest

I was under the misconception that the dual turbos eliminated the lag but from a dead stop, there is a very noticeable delay between depressing the accelerator pedal and the car's forward motion. The end result is a ending up with too much throttle when the engine catches up. Have others experienced this? Is there a program update to smooth this out?

daranco guest

regarding turbo lag

I've read a lot about this on bimmerfest.... and it appears that some 335i built in 2008 (I forget the specific months)... BMW tried to make a software adjustment to reduce some
    engine noise (some baffles opening and closing in the turo - I think), and in the process - they introduced turbo lag that is annoying to the discernable driver. Not only that, but if you brought your car in for other services, BMW might have flashed-upgraded your software to newer version of the SW which caused you to get turbo-lag even if you didn't have it before! I'm told the solution is to go back to your dealer - and complain about unacceptable hesitation / turbo lag.... and insist that they download the very latest rev
    of the software (I think it might be rev 31.1.0 or later) BMW headquarters issued a memo about this in Nov of 2008... saying the fix (latest sw) will fix the turbo lag, but one might notice the noise from the turbo baffles again. In my opinion.... deal with the noise, and get that lag resolved. I believe all 335i built after Dec 2008 should NOT have the problematic SW.... but you also need to make sure your dealership doesn';t load up an older and buggy version of the software. Hope this helps!!

phygenius guest

mlandau guest

forgive me if this is a stupid question, but do you notice the lag in manual mode (assuming you have an automatic)? I recently bought a 2009 335 which definitely lags off the line in drive, but not so in DS or manual mode. I believe that is just the transmission since the 328 i test drove did the same thing. It feels like it's just being hamstrung in first gear (possibly limiting torque for decreased slippage?), but once it hits second, it takes off just fine. odd, but once again, completely absent in manual mode (or when i step on it). I'm assuming the 09s would have the proper software upgrade.

phygenius guest

There are no stupid questions. The answers I can't guarantee. According to the link in a previous post, my engine's build date falls right in the middle of the period that has the problem and associated software update fix. I don't believe this to be transmission related as the tachometer reflects what I'm feeling. Almost no movement for 1/2 a second after depressing the accelerator then varoom! The patch is coming out soon and my dealer has been made aware of it and will contact me when they have it. I'll follow up this thread to let you all know if it works.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Just got the new Roundel. This problem and the proposed solution is detailed in the letters section. Contact your dealer for an appointment to update the software.

daranco guest

response to turbo lag question from mlandau

As other postings have indicated, you should NOT have any turbo lag
    with your 335....... you should insist that your dealership get the SW fix
    ASAP. Note.... at this point - YOU might be more informed on this topic
    than your dealership..... bring prints of these posts, or the articles from
    BMW magazine, etc... if your dealership gives you the run-around.

Note... I have to admit... I am discussing all of this strictly from an
    observer stand-point. I have not yet purchased by BMW 335 YET, but
    I plan to order one in a couple of weeks..... however my comments above
    come from about 1 year of devouring all of the posts / threads on
    bimmerfest and bmwcca forums.... l've read literally thousands of
    posts - as I had a lot of questions on turbo lag, wheel sizes, issues
    relating to run-flats vs. non run-flats, how to detail the car, etc.
    So.... I don't have actual experience yet, but offer my comments
    strictly from compiling as much info as I could. And, finally, note that
    BMW has formally written a description of the problem, and the
    widely anticipated fix.
    Good luck.

bonefish guest

Hi all....I am going through this too. My 08 335 Sedan with Sport Package and Auto was just picked up on 01302009 with a build date of 07/08. I am getting a little push back but, the dealer is still checking. It is irritating as hell. I push slightly on the accelerator and nothing then a touch more and it is like a bat out of hell! Thinking I shold have waiting and gotten an M3. I loved my 330 back in 03! I may be premature but, it is a little disappointing.

330indy1

even with the dialed-in SW a turbo car will not feel like a normally aspirated car for throttle response. on the other hand a NA car will not feel the rush of power like a turbo