Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2007 E92 - TPM/Wheel size/Pressure?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by bmwah, Jan 9, 2013.

bmwah

I am the third owner of this car, and have had it for just over three months. It has 18" wheels, a size that is not listed in the Owner's Manual. Tires are Kumho V-rated M+S XL. (They are not run flats.)
    I have the pressures set at 32 front and 33 rear per the sticker on the driver's side door jamb, which lists these as "Original Tires". (For speeds over 100mph [don't I wish!] 38 and 41 are indicated).

TPM: the warning light comes on (Yellow) erratically: mostly it seems to be after I have driven over a patch of rough road; sometimes it seems to be when I make a turn aggressively. There's no clear cut pattern. Sometimes it just comes on for no apparent reason. Usually it goes off after a while. I have initialized the system per the Manual, and for a while after that -- a couple of weeks at least -- it seemed that it was under control, and I do check the pressures regularly

Today it came on during some local driving, so I stopped and checked the pressures. The right rear was 1# lower than the left rear, the fronts matched, and basically it loooked as if the little bit of driving I had done had raised the pressures by 2#, so I topped up the right rear to match the left.

The large icon has gone off, but the small one has stayed on and also appears in Check Control when I scroll through. I hate to drive with a warning light on -- but what else can I do to have it disappear? I have been told that TPM can be a P.I.T.A. and defies logic.

Thanks in advance for any insight any of you can provide.
    Warren Hansen
    Mendham, NJ