Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2004 X3 Homelink Install Question

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by Chancevoughtcorsair, Feb 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Chancevoughtcorsair guest

The basics: 2004 X3 with a March of 2004 Manufacture date. Prewired for Homelink (as per the window-build-sticker on the car when purchased), but it did not come orig with the car. The Orig Rearview mirror also has NO autodim.
    Purchase Homelink mirror part #51 16 9 174 309. Which is a superseded part of 51 16 9 134 458.
    BMW says is should work no problem they do this all the time
    2 Dealers take a crack at this, both say simple, quick install. Both dealers fail. Both spend nearly 2.5 hrs trouble shooting it and come to the same conclusion. Should work but doesnt. One dealer tried multiple mirrors to double check it wasnt the homelink mirror that was bad. In fact one of those homelink mirrors was the earlier 2004 part #, not a superseded one. No luck.

Problem: Homelink, once installed, appears to work. LED is illuminated showing it is powered and ready.
    But the ignition key/fob no longer has the ability to sync an autolock/unlock the doors. That does not work.

Only difference they (Dealer) can see is the new homelink mirror HAS autodim function, the old Mirror without homelink does not.. Upon pressing the dealer, they did not test the Autodim function of the new homelink mirror to see if that worked, they just tested the Homelink function, which they said did work (as in it was powered.)

My understanding is that the antennae in the mirror is used for the ignition key to autolock/unlock the doors.
    By all accounts this should work, but doesnt.

Thought I take a shot with this forum to see if anyone had some ideas of how to proceed or am I just out of luck?

Thanks

Todd P 2004 X3

mrglock

I don't know the part number however on our 2004 X3 the dealer had to use an X5 kit. You could contact Twin City BMW in Savoy, IL 217-356-0303 for more details.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.