Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2003 BMW Z4 Roadster EPS problem

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by 455105, Jun 11, 2012.

Is there a solution to fixing the EPS steering problem in the BMW Z4?

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Does that mean Electric Power Steering? I don't think mine has that...

BimmerBrad

Now that was helpful. The only solution I'm aware of is total column replacement. From what I have seen on other threads your looking at $3,000 - $3,500 from a BMW dealer; however, I have not checked those prices myself.

Yes, I have heard about replacing the steering column and the cost. I have also read that this is only a temporary fix - the solution eventually ends with the same results. But thanks anyway.

BimmerBrad

I haven't heard about any other solutions and I was not aware that replacement was only a temporary fix.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

I'm still not sure I understand what the problem is, actually...

My electric power steering is totally gone. It is very stiff to handle. I was wondering if there is a way the electric could be fixed instead of the entire steering column.

BimmerBrad

Basically, in warmer temps a condition occurs in the EPS making it more difficult to steer. In my experience, the EPS seems to become "tight" in temps above 90F. Again, in my experience, it seems to be around the top 20 degrees of steering wheel movement left or right, but I've read other reports of it extending throughout the steering range. No fault codes ever show and the only BMW recommended fix is to replace the column. The NHTSA is said to have "investigated," but no recall has been issued, yet.

My 03 Z4 3.0si had steering problems during the hot summer. Up tp $3800.00 to fix at dealer. BMW did replace several(?) for original owners. The best info is on Roadfly (for BMW models.) Do a search for old/ archiveed discussions.
    Best of luck.