Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2003 530i E39 Upgrades

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by andegre, Mar 25, 2008.

andegre guest

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this site and would appreciate some feedback. I just purchased a 2003 BMW 530i this last weekend and I would like to do some performance upgrades. I've been checking the Dinan website and perused some other forums and I'm not sure what I would like to do.

I've gathered that the DINAN chip may be the best compared to other chips (that must be the stage 1,2, or 3 computer tuning that they have on their website). What I'm more curious about is the Colder Air Intake, and the Free Flow exhaust. I've heard that the DINAN free flow exhaust is way overpriced.

What are your personal opinions on which brand/company I should go with for those two upgrades? Stick with DINAN because they are strictly for BMW, or is their a better option?

Does your opinion change knowing that the car is a CPO? (Not doing DINAN upgrades).

Thanks everyone,

GregS_WI guest

What are your goals here?

I've looked it over a bit, but it seems one would have to spend a lot of money to get more power from a 530, and then it isn't much. And to add a supercharger -- heck, I'd just sell my 530 and use that much money to get to the 540 (or m5.)

Suspension, on the other hand, could be improved. I was going to go with Koni FSDs and Eibach sway bars this summer. But then I priced out that table saw I must get for my remodeling and, well, the suspension mod will have to wait...

Maybe a short-shift kit? Low money and you'll feel the difference every time you reach for a new gear. Be sure to gut out or remove that CDV as well!

Good luck and ENJOY!