Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2001 325xi cv joint boot repair

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by gadourylaw, Apr 10, 2008.

gadourylaw guest

This is my first post. I'm just wondering what a fair price is for replacement of the front outer and inner boot on this car ? Is it a waste to spend the money on the inner, I have been told by BMW service person (via a tech) that they have never seen an inner fail. Also, the cheapest that I can find the parts from a dealer around $90 for both kits. Pelican has them (OEM supplier "Loebel") for about $25.00 for both sets. Is there any reason why I should not secure these parts from Pelican instead of the dealer ? Also, has anyone done this repair themselves ?

Thank you in advance,
    Mike G.

bradley01 guest

Mike,

In fact, I just got done doing the repair. It was fairly straight forward. The one thing I would recommend is to first get yourself a Bentley Manual. Once you have that, read over it and you will gain a little understanding as to what needs to happen. Here are a couple links with some good info on a DIY:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262157

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=556997&highlight=cv

I ran into a RARE problem of not being able to get the axle out of the hub. I took it to my indy and they had the same problem. Good to know it was not just me. They said that normally they are able to use an air hammer and just tap the axle right out. Usually pretty easy! Anyway, what they did to remedy the problem was to just take the axle apart from the oposite end and slide the parts on from the differential side. No problems. I would say that if you have some time (around 4 hours) and the necessary parts and tools, then save yourself the $200-300 in labor at an indy and DIY!!! Feels good too!

Let me know if you have ?'s or need help!

gadourylaw guest

CV joint boots

Dear Bradley 01:

Thanks for your time and info. I have the Bentley manual and I have been working on cars all my life. I have replaced the inner ball joints, brakes and rotors, water pump, thermostat etc. on this car, myself but this just sounds like too much aggravation, especially if I run into the same problems you did (even though I can approach it from the transaxle side as some suggested). I only have one car so if I can't button it up and drive it right away, it poses a big problem for me. Looks like I'll bring it to German Motors.

Thanks again,
    Mike

P.S. Did you replace the inner one also ?

bradley01 guest

Mike,
    My indy said the problem with my car was one in a million. The first one they have seen. I would bet on the side of yours being fine. It sounds like you have a lot of mechanical abilities and backgrounds. I think you should be fine. Also, it kind of gives you a stronger connection to your car knowing you fixed it...am I right? HaHaHa And to answer your question, my indy DID replace my inner boot while they had it off. (they never charged me for it...shhhhh!) Good luck! Let me know if you decide to attempt it!