Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2000 Z3 2.8 5 Speed Manual transmission clunk

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by Rndgmd287, Jan 5, 2015.

Rndgmd287

I have a 2000 Z3 2.8 with a 5-speed manual transmission. Any thoughts on what would cause a clunking sound when shifting. The sound is coming from within the end of the tranny near the driveshaft.

charlson89

does it only happen while moving or can you do it while sitting still? If it is while moving does it only happen under acceleration and fast shifting or normal shifting. Does it happen all the time? There are quite a few Z3 owners with the same problem you described but different issues, sorry about all the questions.

Rndgmd287

The clunking only happens while moving. Its most pronounced when in first gear and I push in the clutch to shift gears it sounds like a double clunk. It is more pronounced under normal shifting and seems better when accelerating to around 4 grand and then clutching to shift. It clunks in all gears but is more pronounced in the lower gears. It does this pretty much all the time.
    • Staff

steven s

Exhaust hitting something?
    But my guess is u-joint.
    I had a similar problem when I punched it at the start of an autocross.

Rndgmd287

I had it in the shop and they said after putting it on the hoist they determined that it wasn't the u-jhoints or anything hitting it. But that the clunking was inside and near the rear of the transmission. It was beyond anything they (the shop) wanted to work on. Thanks for the suggestion…I also thought it was the u-joints. Anyone know of a reliable tranny shop in the Ft. Myers area??
    • Staff

steven s

I give them credit for not tearing into the tranny since they felt it was beyond them.
    Not even a tranny mount?

Rndgmd287

They didn't say anything about a tranny mount….worth exploring Thanks!!
    • Staff

steven s

I had a shop who looked for the cheap stuff first. :)
    Boy I miss that guy!

charlson89

The problem with drive line noises is the noise can travel from either direction and travel to the area you are hearing it in the vehicle. Could be something with the clutch fork traveling through the transmission. It could be the center bearing in the driveshaft. Could be but most likely not rear subframe bushings, differental bushings. Yes do make sure the transmission business are in good shape to though.
    Rndgmd287 likes this.

MGarrison

• Staff

steven s

Sometimes the suspension needs to be loaded to diagnosis a problem which makes it difficult on a lift.
    Well, depending on the lift.

Rndgmd287

I really appreciate the suggestions. It has given me some ideas to explore. I still think it might be related to the flex disc….my question on this is would a flex disc make a noise all the time? The clunk is far less pronounced when shifting from higher rev's.

MGarrison

If your guibo looks like this
    [IMG]

or this
    [IMG]

or like this one on the right
    [IMG]

then I'd think you'd be getting clunking mostly on up & downshifts - another potential item is the center support bearing.
    Rndgmd287 and Ken.S.330 like this.