Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2000 BMW 528i Engine No Start

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by Brycefu, Dec 28, 2013.

Brycefu

Hello everyone, I'm a new member! Can anyone please help me with the problem with my 2000 BMW E39 528i that doesn't start?
    The engine cranks, but doesn't start. It just happened all of a sudden. There were no repairs or anything done other than adding oil a couple days previously. It ran one day and the next it wouldn't start. I checked the fuel pump fuse and relay, and I believe it's ok. I could hear something humming when I place the ignition to ON, but I could be hearing something else. I looked at 1 spark plug to check if it's fouled up, but it looked dry. Lastly, I sprayed starting fluid/ether into one of the intake (main) and surprisingly it started for a second or two.
    This leads me to believe it's more than likely a fuel issue...any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MGarrison

charlson89

Fuel pumps can make noise but not send fuel with pressure to the rail. I would check fuel pressure at the rails should be around 5 bar.

eblue540 Fourth Gen Bimmers

Belated welcome! Sorry to hear about the no start issue with your e39. We're you ever able to find out what the problem was?