Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

1600 ignition tumbler was loose and now popped out?

Discussion in '114 type 1600, 2002, 2002ti/tii (1967-1976)' started by Harry Seidel, Apr 9, 2009.

Harry Seidel guest

This story is about my 1967 1600 in which recently (last 3 years) the ignition switch began to have some play. In order for the starter to engage you would turn the key to the far right as normal and then push the key inward. I believe what was happening (but I'm not sure) was that the tumbler assembly was moving slightly inward when i pushed the key inward.

In any case, today while doing the procedure, the key moved to about 5 oclock (start position being 3 oclock) and the entire tumbler assembly sprung out. 45 minutes of playing with the tumbler and careful examination of the situation and nearly getting it entirely replaced while my Siberian Huskey snored in the back seat, was to no avail. When I achieved near replacement it was still maybe 1/16-inch shy of being completely in place and the key was not in the same position (direction) as it was when the tumbler popped out. Also, looking at the tumbler just beyond the tumbler cylinder (with all the small slots etc.) there apearrs to be a ring that can be spun and a slot can be aligned. Mine may be broken because the ring is in (3) pieces.

Is it realistic to attempt repair of this or is replacement advised. Are the ignition tumbler systems uniform amongst older 2002's and 1600's and so available or do I take up the violin. I really need to fix this car. I won't cry about having a door key different than the starter key if it means a reliable ignition condition.

I could take pictures and e-mail them to anyone who is knowledgable and can help me.

Harry Seidel

CRKrieger

First of all, please don't start identical threads when you don't get a reply. The proper procedure is to post a reply to your original with only the word "Bump" in it. This brings it back to the top of the message list again (which is no doubt why you made a second thread). We will understand why.

The reason you did not get a reply is that the 1600/2002 forum is not real active. Far fewer members have the cars and as a result, far fewer read or post there. Half a day is not an unreasonable amount of time to wait for someone to see your post and reply. Some people only read the section once a day, or even less, so don't get demanding of volunteers offering information.

With that out of the way, I would advise replacement since I seriously doubt you can buy these parts separately. Do you know how to search RealOEM? Go to RealOEM.com and enter your VIN. It will bring up a virtual parts fiche for your particular car. Look over the ignition switch parts and jot down the numbers. Then, do a general (no VIN) search of other similar cars, like the 2002, to see which ones used the same switch. You should also be able to see if the switch is possibly available (a price listing) or not ("NLA" = No Longer Available). I do have a couple of parts 2002s, and a 1600, sitting many miles from me, but I'm sure someone also has some close at hand. I'd ask here for a good used one and see what turns up.

John in VA

You might have a better chance of a reply posting your question at BMW 2002 FAQ. You might try performing a "search" as the problem has undoubtedly been discussed previously.

Maximillian Importing has a parts catalog similar to realoem.com, showing their actual pricing. You might be able to find a better price at your local dealer - call and give them the part number and ask for your 'CCA discount!