Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'06 3 series rough idle and start

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by sjz1983, May 19, 2010.

sjz1983 guest

Bought my first BMW last month....'06 330i, 36,000 miles CPO...have been noticing that it idles kind of rough and has a somewhat rough start up when it sits for a little bit (several hours), didn't think much of it until yesterday when I started it up after work and it really acted up.

Noise almost sounded like if you were to turn an ignition key again after a car is already started. After that noise the car ran kind of weird (extra loud fan type noise). Not 100% sure but I feel like it acts up the most on cold damp days during/after a rainy day. (South East PA)

I'm thinking the noise may be the ignition or fan? And the rough idle maybe something with the intake solenoid? Any ideas? The car will be going into the shop next Wednesday.

az3579

At this point, it doesn't matter what's causing it because it's under CPO warranty and they have to take care of it. No questions asked. :)

Ryan323i guest

+1 on the CPO warranty. Just take it in and it'll get fixed. Also, do you have more pics of your ride? You have the color combo I want for my next bimmer!

E92Dreier

Could be the some debris in the intake solenoid, part of VANOS.

It is really very simple to do, especially if you know your way around the engine compartment. Find the solenoid wire, unbolt the mounting hardware (one or two bolts, I forget) -- now the solenoid should pull straight out -use a can of compressed air to clean it and its home.

If you need better directions, consult your Bentley manual or google '330 rough idle.'

There is a competing website with detailed information -- I would link, but I am sure that advertising a rival is frowned upon.

bcweir

I don't think there are any "rivals" in the BMW community...

...especially if it helps someone out.

I recommend http://www.bimmerboard.com all the time and have yet to get a nasty feedback on it.

E92Dreier

Good deal, other forums suspend me if I share links to their rivals, so I was walking on eggshells!

...to the OP -- here is a link with a picture of the 330i intake solenoid (about three posts down) -- this is a good place to start if you experience rough idle on cold starts and at no other time....
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444089

...after this, it might be time to invest in a fault code reader...you might have a vacuum leak if you are rough all the time.

sjz1983 guest

Ryan, I plan on taking more pics very soon...I want to get it washed up real nice before I do. I bought it late last month and have not had a chance to get really good pics yet. I took delivery of it after work and the very next day it rained and has rained several times since (go figure lol).

Thanks for the feedback guys, I have an appointment for next Wednesday to take it in. It has spent a couple days in the shop so far. When I got it the radio has some burnt out pixels and they ended up replacing the whole thing. (luckily I got it into the shop the VERY last day the factory warranty ran out.

When I picked it up for the radio the dealership messed up the sunroof...they kept it over night for the radio to reprogram (some how the programming for the sunroof was affected and had to go back into the shop).

I have been noticing the rough idle over the last couple of weeks but didn't think anything of it until what happened the other day.

sjz1983 guest

Dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong with it, they kept the car since Wednesday. I'll see if I can set aside some time to tinker with the Intake Solenoid. I know servicing that helped with the rough idle on my '04 Silverado, keeping my fingers crossed it does the same with the bimmer.