Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

05 X3 - DSC ON

Discussion in 'E53 X5 (2000-2006)' started by juanLarin, Apr 30, 2013.

juanLarin

Hi all,
    I own a 2005 X3 with 130,000 miles, the other day the DSC light came ON and has been that way. Only that light and no clicking noise.
    I took the transfer case actuator out last night to check the internal gear (known to be weak) but the gear looks like new.
    What kind of scanner/cable do I need to be able to read the codes from the transfer case module? Just want to make sure it is not any other sensor before I bite the bullet with a new actuator, since I'm not able to test the servo motor.
    Thanks!

charlson89

The module you need to read out is the DSC module (dynamic stability control), VTG control unit (for transfercase control). Not to say it isn't the transfer case actuator but I would have it looked at for fault codes. These module are not ones that communicate over OBD2 communication line, they require special diag equipment for BMW's. It could be as easy as a low battery charge to full transfer case failure. Before I would spend any money I would get a direction to go in besides shooting in the dark.

juanLarin

Just realizing that I posted on the wrong section....but X nonetheless...Thanks for your reply, I took the car to my Indy to have the faults read, it was the Yaw (Rotation Speed) sensor. I ordered one, got it today but I could not find it under the seat, pulled out driver's seat and carpeting and nowhere to be found. I found a source that points to a location under the center storage, I'll look there tomorrow.