Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

04 330i Wheel rubbing

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by blkzhpwog, Mar 16, 2009.

blkzhpwog

Hi all. I was hoping to get some help / advice. I have an 04 PP 330i w/ 65k miles. I just got new Yokohama tires (OEM size). The right rear is rubbing now when going over bumps with weight in the car (read 1-3 other guys). It never does it with just me in the car. The indy shop here says its because the shocks have been leaking fluid and are weak.
    I was playing around with a tape measure and a level because something just didnt look right and found that the right rear wheel sits about 1/4" - 1/2" further out than the left, almost like it has a spacer. It seems the camber is slightly different as well but I can't quantify that. This is for sure why it rubs, but what would cause the difference in offset. I know the rear diffrential bushing needs replaced but could that cause the whole suspension to shift right, or did the alignment just get messed up when the tires were changed.
    Any help ideas are appreciated to help save some money, even though the wife is already on board with the idea that the car needs new shocks/springs...

Thanks, Chris

CSBM5

Weird. It sounds like it's likely the car was in an accident in the past -- perhaps slid sideways into a curb. You need to have it checked out by a competent alignment/body shop (subframe mounting to body -- check also for E46 cracking, bent rear suspension components, etc).
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Your tire should not rub whether the shock leaks or not. If there is a bushing problem, maybe. THe rear springs on these cars often break. Changing tires should not have done anything to the alignment. You need a more qualified tech to look under the car. Something must not be right. Not to sound dumb, but is that right tire the same size as the others (read the sidewalls just to be sure?) The Tire rack sent me one wrong tire recently and I didn't catch it because the label was for the right tire. I very quickly found out that a 17" tire falls right over a 16" rim and had to send it back.

blkzhpwog

The car had a clean carfax when I bought it a year ago and came back with a true frame upon purchase inspection. I could believe bent compontents, bad alignment and bad bushings, although I have not hit or slid into anything. The tire is definitely the same size and I checked that the tire guys put the correct wheels on the correct corners (with the correct tires on try number two...). Im taking it into the shop tomorrow if I can, but I'd like to have as many ideas as possible before I go because it is just a weird problem, and when they looked at it a month ago to diagnose the rubbing they found nothing wrong aside from the rear differential bearing needing replacement, and the leaking shocks. Thanks for the help, Chris
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Have them check all the bushings/joints on that side- there are many. Make sure the wheel is mounted correctly. Have them make sure the suspension carrier is not ripping through the floor pan (this has been known to happen.)