Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

'03 530i white smoke when started

Discussion in 'E39 (1997-2003)' started by thanes, Nov 5, 2009.

thanes guest

I NEED HELP FROM SOME E39 MOTORHEADS! I have 2003 530i with 76k miles, I bought the car knowing about an infrequent (a couple of drops a week) oil leak, supposedly where the canister oil filter mounts to the engine. I have noticed the leak becoming more frequent. Other notes, there was a weird plastic cracking sound when started (from cold) a couple of months back, and it infrequently has a sound when starting it. I also almost ran the car out of gas and when I filled it up the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on and the car ran horribly for about 20 minutes, when the car sat for awhile it started and ran just fine and the SES light went off. Then a couple of weeks later I sometimes noticed white smoke from exhaust immediately when started (and maybe the smell of burned oil). Other times no smoke was noticed (whether warm or cold). I pulled the spark plugs and they all appear moderately oil fouled. The car appears to idle fine and it has the proper amount of oil in it. I hope it is not the head gaskets, but rather the valve cover gasket(s)???? But what would cause moderate oil fouling ...and lots of white smoke when started...and smoking now when it is running...man I really don't need an expensive repair in this economy!

zr6sbc guest

The PCV system on my 540i failed leaving pools of oil in the intake manifold and oil in the intake ports. I venture a guess that you're having problems with your PCV system. (sometimes I think my car has too many PVC type parts:))

thanes guest

Thanks! That sounds very plausible!

Ok, PCV, or CCV (CrankCase Ventilation valve) seems a very plausible culprit for my symptoms...a reason for leaking oil, oil burning, smoke, and fouling plugs, thank you so much for your quick reply! It seems that this is a rather inexpensive part ~$40, is a common problem, and may not be too hard to replace...has anyone done this repair, have a DIY procedure, or would you recommend that a professional perform it?