Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

01 E38 Help with trouble codes

Discussion in 'E38 (1995-2001)' started by kdn32303, Jan 17, 2009.

kdn32303 guest

Well to start my car when I start it idles VERY rough... but it smooths about after about 5 min of idling...

Here are the OBD Codes that I have

P0011
    P0112
    P0102

I have on order a new MAF sensor which Im fairly sure has gone bad.
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Hmm. Not sure if that will fix it or not. These codes point to 3 different things (though they could be a related problem.) Cam position sensor, bank 1, IAT, and MAF. These can be triggered by abnormal air flow, such as a vacuum leak or a failed crankcase vent valve (both of which are common on the V8s, but you have not told us which motor you have.) Have you checked for vacuum leaks? What other diagnostics have you done? Without info other than codes and rough idle at start, you are taking a wild stab at the problem and even though you may get lucky, you may end up much poorer and still have problems.

kdn32303 guest

its the M62 engine. Here is a little breakdown of the problem as it developed.

It started witht he MAF sensor... when it was plugged in the car would start and then die, but disconnect it and it would run just fine. So the MAF is disconnected until my new sensor arrives... when the car starts its idles VERY rough for about 5-6 minutes (so rough the whole car shakes).... but if you just let the car sit and idle it will smooth out and its fine.

My plan thus far is to replace the MAF and the OSV... but I wanted to get another opinon on the codes to make sure I was going in the right direction.

(Sidebar: I have just recently replaced the CPS)
    • Technical Service Advisor

mooseheadm5

Sounds like potential multiple problems, but unplugging the MAF is not a fool proof diagnostic tool Basically, when you do the ECU looks at its guess table for fuelling based on temp, throttle position, and RPM. Often, vacuum leaks (which often require anything from a simple cap that is bad at the back of the OSV to a complete reseal of the intake with new gaskets and OSV) will manifest with very poor quality idle until everything warms up. Unplugging the MAF will gove you the 102 code and you must clear it before rereading the codes and running the motor. The CPS will give you the 011 code. Did you clear the codes and get these three again? I hope the MAF fixes it, though. If not, report back.