Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Your Favorite? Quick Poll

Discussion in 'E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2011)' started by jlwsbw, Jan 5, 2010.

jlwsbw

I realize there is a detailing forum as well, but amongst E90 owners, what is your preferred brand:
    Griot's Garage, Lexol, Zymol, Mother's, Genuine BMW cleaning supplies

granthr

I don't have an E90. But I will cast my vote anyway! :D

I use Zymol on my cars and have been very pleased with it. Be sure to clay bar prior to waxing. The prep work is what really makes all these products shine! Pun intended. :)

I use Lexol neatsfoot treatment on my leather seats. Mostly b/c they are pretty old at this point it seems to keep them conditioned nicely.

E92Dreier

I used to be a Zymol Devotee. Then I tried Griot's.

Then I discovered a company called Detailed Image. Check out there website...they offer a daily special, discount pricing, and how-to guides for each of their products.

I am becoming partial to Poorboy's World and Chemical Guys products.

jlwsbw

that site was really overwhelming...what did you think of Griots?

E92Dreier

Griot's products are not 'elite.' In fact, they do not use premium ingredients, and they are extremely pricey. I severed my relationship with them after I peeled the wool back on their free returns policy -- yeah, the return is free, but you have to pay for shipping out of your own pocket. So, for instance, if the vacuum you ordered doesn't work, you have to put it in a box and pay the USPS to ship it back. Kind of misleading.

In addition, Griot's products are not for professionals - as I consider myself to be. They are ok for the people who use carwashes, or for those who don't know better. For me, they proved inferior.

jlwsbw

that is good to know. As I've just finished out my garage so i have a space to detail and AVOID the automatic wash from here out, I am looking for the best and easiest to use. My preference is to stick with some of the brands many folks have mentioned, im specifically seeing Lexol and Zymol, and very few Griot's. Im surprised the BMW products dont get more publicity...wonder if its price or ingredients.

E92Dreier

You can't go wrong with Zymol. I only moved on when I realized I was willing to pay just a little bit more money to take care of my own cars, and that I could potentially selll my level of 'detailing paranoia' to other people.

If you can find a good vendor, Zymol will keep you happy.

rspeser

I have used Griots and their products are pretty good, but lately have been using P21 and think that they do a good job. Their 100% carnuba gives great results but is quite difficult to apply. I have been using a torch to soften it to be able to get enough wax on the applicator. BMW products are pricey but do a good job.

bluewagon

favorite product

I was a Griots user for about three years.then I tried http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/ in march09 my car has not been washed since then. after a good cleaning even th wheels have not been washed brake dust will wipe off with a Swiffer duster. I agree you have to do all the prelim work before. Clay, Polish( I use a random orbital) Then apply your finished product.
    I live in Florida so we clean roads no sand over snow and ice. But I came from Ma. so I know how hard it is to keep a car clean in winter.
    Bluewagon

jlwsbw

what i find interesting about zymol's website versus griot's is that there are no orbitals or other power tools on zymol. seems they promote elbow grease versus electric power. i cant say i disagree with that one. i really appreciate all of the suggestions today, and will be sure to post my experience with whichever company i go with.

fshubert

My car only sees Zymol.

jlwsbw

by the way, anyone know a place to buy zymol, or do you suggest buying straight from the company? they are offering an intro kit at 50% when you buy a new car, kind of a nice touch.

E92Dreier

Don't be fooled by Griot's orbital -- it does not achieve the level of 'cut' needed to remove swirl marks from a clearcoat. If you need something to mechanically apply polishes and/or waxes, their machine will suffice. If you want to fix some swirl marks from the dealership's hack carwash, you are going to need a flex or PC, or something comparable, and appropriate pads and polishes.

E92Dreier

There used to be (and perhaps, there still is) a CCA memebr who is a distributor for Zymol products -- I met him at Limerock in Connecticut, but I have since lost his business card. I believe he was from the Boston chapter if you want to go looking!

epbrown01

I believe in having a "wardrobe" of waxes. For winter, I prefer Collinite 476, which has decent shine and is long-lasting - important as Chicago weather means I won't get to wax again for months.

During warmer weather, I've got a supply of Meguiars No 16 for use during the spring, as it has good shine and decent durability. It's no longer made, but the two tins I'm hoarding should last me a while.

When I want my car to look it's best during the summer, I use Zymol Carbon. Like most high carnauba-content waxes, you get great shine but it just doesn't last. With Zymol, I'm waxing the M Coupe every couple of weeks even during mild weather.

For my Smart Fortwo - eh, Turtlewax.

jlwsbw

So what Im learning is that Im going to have to try out some products and see what my favorite is. All of these posts are extremely appreciated.

wretched

Beware of walmart/target Zymol. From I have read it is not real zymol! The price will reflect this...

I would like to hear more about the reasoning behind disliking Griot's. I have been using there products exclusively for a few years now and have been very pleased! There microfiber clothes are also a real treat! There BBS approved wheel cleaner also works great! As a matter of fact I think the only non griot product I use is Wheel Wax...

Please enlighten me as to why they are so bad! What products do you recommend to replace waterless car wash, spray on wax, wheel cleaner, carnauba wax, rubber tire/seal dressing and leather cleaner and conditioner?

Until I find out I will still vote for Griot's, Zymol and I hear good things about ps21.

Thanks!

E92Dreier

I believe that Griot's products are unjustifiably expensive -- their ingredients are identical to far cheaper products. In addition, Griot's products are not for professional use -- they are designed for the home user. To that end, you cannot remove swirl marks with their orbital and polish, their wheel cleaner is excessively mild, their spray and shine is not appropriate for a clay bar lube (as advertised), and their entire catalog is overpriced. Two years ago, I first used some 'professional grade' products (ie Swissvax waxes, Chemical Guys acrylic glaze, et cetera) and now, I am not looking back.

Obviously, to each his own.

Most of the items Griot's sells can be purchased cheaper elsewhere, with different labeling. Some of their products, like their car wash, are great....very slippery and sudsy....I have a gallon of that stuff still in use -- I just won't be paying them to replace it when the time comes, because I found another product to be superior, cheaper.

If you want professional results, and/or you use more than your share of product (ie you run a business or own multiple vehicles), I recommend trying out some of the professional grade items offered at Detailed Image. -- FWIW, I have no business relationship with any of the vendors mentioned, I am just giving out my own $.02

jlwsbw

I've spoken in depth with a rep at Zymol and Griot's over the last couple of days. I have also priced out everything and have found Zymol to be much more expensive. However, there seem to be some major differences. For example, Zymol is 100% natural in its ingredients, and according to the rep I cannot use their items in my 35 degree garage in the wintertime. That is a bad thing as i need to be able to wash salt/road grime off. Griot's car wash I can use in the cold. Both brands say to store items inside versus in the garage. Griot's is more chemical based not natural ingredients. Both sell all kinds of fun detailing tools. Im not using an orbital either way so dont care about what it will/wont do, and am a home detailer not a pro. Im sure both brands are fantastic, however based on all of the items needed it looks like Griots can be had (including all detailing tools) for about half the price. There seem to be just as many people who love each product, next to no negative reviews on either product. The salesman at Griot's drives a 1990 or 1999 (cant remember which he said) 535i in alpine white, black leather, manual transmission. Choices choices.

M3Driver guest

A mix of Griot's and Meguiars....