Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Discussion in 'E30 (1984-1993)' started by Schattenjager, Jun 30, 2008.

Schattenjager guest

Greetings. New member here but not to BMW's. I am looking forward to much time spent here with the BMW CCA.

After much deliberation about what to do with this oil stink we are in just now, I decided that transportation was the one major expense I had some control over. I really love my highly modified '05 Tacoma and don't want it to go away. So I chose an older car I am familiar with and bought it this past week.

Anywho - here she is: 1987 BMW 325is with 185K miles on the clock. I paid about $1800 for her as she sat: heavily oxidized, square tires, and a cracked up windshield. After a days work, a new windshield, new shift boot and knob, new shoes, new badges on the hood and trunk, and more elbow grease - she came out pretty nice. About $600 worth of stuff on top of the purchase price. The on board computer tells me I am getting around 28 MPG and it is a kick in the pants to drive. After I mature a little behind the wheel, I bet it gets closer to 30. Perhaps....

She just passed a professional inspections with flying colors, so next is a set of truly round wheels to replace the nearly rounds I have now. Then it will be springs and shocks - most likely the BavAuto Sport Kit as I will enjoy some spirited driving and an autocross or two as well.

az3579

It looks like it's in beautiful condition. You got a good deal for $1800 if there are no other problems with it. Welcome to the club.

Vicksburg guest

Welcome. Nice ride. Keep us posted as you make modifications.....

Schattenjager guest

Thanks so much for the welcome!

I am spending the better part of my work day (!) searching for an Alpina Classic style wheel in 16" 4X100 I just love that wheel! I am going with 16's for two main reasons: better tire selection at a much more desirable price and I can fit 225's with no problems, even after the car is lowered 1.25 inches (or so)

jmalter guest

Hi SchJ, I remember how much the windshield-replacement improved my outlook!

For those wheels, try KSK Distributing @ www.alpina-usa.com - they've been good to work with when I only needed some accessory parts such as new wheel-hub O-rings.

I *really* like the look, it's so classy to my eye - but they're kinda pricey! What you want is the Alpina 'E30' wheel, which is a 7x16 w/ the 4x100 bolt-pattern (& you can get 8x16s for the rear, which is unnecessary in an E30). They have a solid cast-plate hub (w/ keyed lock) instead of the pressed-plate hub cover shown in your photo. I use 205/45ZR16 tires w/ never a rub (even w/ the 'totally unreasonable' Alpina front springs, but I've bent 3 of them - the 1st offense was pounded round (& I bought a 5th wheel) - the last 2 req'd they be re-heated / re-rounded / re-painted.

The 225 width seems too wide to me, esp. since it'd likely be a 40-profile that'd give you less ability to survive a pothole-wheelkill. So note that while these wheels are just too cool-looking for words, at heart they're only soft aluminum castings that don't mix well w/ rough roads. If you can, get a set of 5 (or 6) at start.

desertVert guest

Looks like a nice pickup for $1,800. She'll look good with the Alpina wheels too, whichever style you end up with.

How's the interior?

Schattenjager guest

jmalter - thank you for the input on the wheels - I will research that today. And yes, a clear view of the future does improve ones overall outlook!

desertVert - the interior is in very good shape, after much TLC. The carpet needs replacing, but some shoe polish and conditioner on the seats really brought them back to life. The dash and center console are without fault - the headliner is a bit soiled from open window motoring, but it is in very good condition - EVERYTHING works - even the power antenna. Perhaps I should not be surprised by this, but very few cars of this 'vintage' that have not been fastidiously maintained can make this claim. I count myself as very, very lucky to have found such a good car to start with.

az3579

Hey, if you're going to get new wheels, mind parting with your basketweaves? :D

Schattenjager guest

Holy Smokes - those wheels will not only triple the value of the car (to me,anyway) they will require a special insurance contract to cover them! I have no problem paying for quality, but perhaps a clone is more appropriate to put on my little car that will undoubtedly see rough roads.

az3579 - once I have the replacements - you can HAVE them - just cover the shipping.

az3579

Cool! Are they 14's or 15's?

(Pleeeeeeeease be 15's)

Schattenjager guest

14" - no centers

az3579

I'm wondering if I should take them... basketweaves are hard to come by, and if they're offered then most would just bite, but I already have 14's, so it would be a bit redundant. :(

If you could get me a shipping quote then I might just swap them for my bottlecaps. Hopefully it won't cost too much... there are 4, correct? No spare?