Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2010 335xi engine power issues

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by rstanley0312, Nov 3, 2015.

rstanley0312

My 2010 335 xi is a CPO vehicle that lasts until December of this year. About 6 months ago I noticed an occasional and very brief lag in the power. I took it in and they found nothing. The problem persisted and erventually led to the car losing power or operating on reduced power. I took it in and the dealer had it for 4 days. They did a lot of stuff such as new plugs. I got the impression that they did not know what was going on but the car seemed to be okay. Fast forward a bit and I noticed the same periodic hiccup in the power. I had new break pads put on and mentioned this. They checked it out and said they do not see anything or notice what I am talking about. Now I am in the same situation again with the car operating on reduced power and taking it back to the dealer. Here is my question, if they cannot figure it out and I go past the CPO period, what happens? I am documenting everything but I can see this going the wrong way fast. Any advice? If they cannot fix it do I have a leg to stand on? What could be done?
    Thanks
    Rob

charlson89

Are you getting the power reduction light which looks like a half engine? If so what faults did they pull out of the vehicle. Many things can cause a power reduction light to come on so would need the faults to narrow it down. As for warranty you have to be getting close on the end of you CPO right? Once out of warranty it can be kind of a struggle to get a issue that happened under warranty and couldn't be found. The dealer has to help with this most of the time so hopefully the dealer will want to help. Also please give the last 7 of the vin so I can look into your vehicles history.

rstanley0312

Yes I am getting the half engine "reduction light". Last time it was in they said they could not pull any faults from the computer which I thought was odd. I am waiting to hear back from them this time and if I get codes I will give them to you. My CPO expires in December which is why this gives me a lot of worry. Last 7 of VIN is A408294.
    Thank you!

rstanley0312

They just got back to me and told me that I had hoses breaking down and losing the seal going to the turbo which is why I had reduced power. Codes that came up were vacuum and pressure codes.

KCuv

Your N55 goes into a limp mode with any issue like that, I'm assuming? Probably accounts for the noticeable power loss. Glad you got it sorted before December!
    Its always nice to have a friend at the dealer who's a tech that can go through and get you EVERYTHING questionable while still under warranty!!

rstanley0312

It does indeed go "limp". It still will get up to speed but it will not exceed around 2000-2500 rpm.

charlson89

Glad they found a leaking issue and hopefully you won't have any more issues.
    rstanley0312 likes this.