Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

E46 M3 vs. M3 CSL Tire Sizes

Discussion in 'E46 M3 (2001-2006)' started by BMW M Power, Jun 8, 2008.

BMW M Power

Has anyone tried the European M3 CSL tire sizes when replacing tires on your E46 M3? The normal sizes are 225 front and 255 rear. On the Euro M3 CSL, the tire sizes are 235-35-19 front and 265-30-19 on the rear. I have always felt that the widths on our cars with the optional 19" wheels, particularly on the front, seemed too narrow for the 19" forged rims. Anybody else agree?

330indy1

this may also be to accommodate the CSL (larger) brakes (rotors)

BMW M Power

CSL Tires

Actually, I am speaking about the tires, not the wheels. The wheels would dictate rotor size, not the tires. Wheel size is the same.

Aaron Hambleton guest

M3 vs. M# CSL

I'm currenlty running 235's front and 275's rear on my CSL wheels and my factory M wheels that came on the car. I've tried all the combinations I.E. 225's to 245's front and 255's out back etc, and for my driving style I've found that the 235 is best up front. As for rear tires, I'm a true believer in wider the better. I've seen one guy here in the PNW that's running 295's out back and swears they don't rub. I'm not so sure.

ACSM3

I am running 245 front and 275 in the back on genuine CSL's 8.5" up front and 9.5" in the back. No rubbing issues at all. Did have to reset the tire pressure light on the center console though.

jdbunda

This seems to be the common and preferred setup on m3forum.com, and what is typically sold by aftermarket wheel/tire fitters for our cars, even with 8" fronts (i.e. 19" forged or ZCP). There appears to be plenty of room, though I have heard that you can get a little more tramline effect running 245s in front. When I replace my Contis, I will probably try this setup.

John

lkpbmw guest

I'm running 235/265, mostly because the 246/275 wasn't available at the time and I had belts coming through.
    But they fit great, handle great, look great. No complaints.
    :D

BMW M Power

Hey lkpbmw,

What brand and model of tire did you decide on? Can you post any pics of how these tires look on your car?

lkpbmw guest

I'll have to take some pictures. I went with the Generals. Been very happy with them, especially with the extra change left in my pocket.