Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW 850 Engl tabs for Cam banjo bolts

Discussion in 'E31 (1991-1997)' started by Mikekugel, Oct 2, 2013.

Mikekugel

charlson89

Mikekugel

Thanks Charlson, I had read that before. I am still looking for info about the German solution with aluminum tabs, which seems to also eliminate the need for the upper crush washer. I only want to dig into the top end once for a long time, as it is quite a job on the M70.

Mikekugel

I thought I would post my follow up on this. I sent Thomas Engl an email in English. He replied in German. I had sent him a link from his own site, as to the banjo bolt tabs. He sent me a PDF of an invoice showing the price in Euros, also in German. A friend was kind enough to translate, and it said that I could use PayPal to send him the money, just about $25 as I recall. PayPal makes the conversion to Euros. I sent it to Thomas Engle's email address. He replied, and emailed a receipt, showing the parts were in the mail, Also in German. Ten days later they arrived, registered mail. The tabs are (Nicely stamped) soft copper, not aluminum as shown on his site. I don't look forward to doing the work, but the peace of mind will be worth it.
    You could of course make your own, from plumbers soft copper strap, (Have fun). Or rely on locktite, like the new BMW bolts. Or drill the banjo bolt and safety wire. I like things such as these locked down with tabs! and blue locktite! OCD ME!
    cheers,,Michael

charlson89

Thanks for the update glad that worked out for you.

I can also recommend Thomas Engls banjo-bolts. I have them as well.

phoenixop

Charlson;
    Has anybody ever sent their bolts out and have them Ny-Loked? One of my jobs (in another life) was dealing with the government. One thing we did alot was send inconel, monel and marinaloy bolts out for Ny-Lok buttons. It's kind of like an internal nylon insert lock nut. I don't know if temp would be an issue, but I'm sure they have hi-temp buttons.

charlson89

Im not sure about the ny-loked have no experience with that. Do you have any more info about it, I'm interested? I have used the blue loctite for this repair and it seems to work quite well.

phoenixop

Here's the website ( https://nylok.com ). Back in the day they only did "buttons" or "strips". The best part is they are not a one time deal. They are reusable. Seems like the used to run $9.00 per bolt, but now I guess you can buy bolts by the hundreds already done. They used to NyLok nuts too. Check it out. I'm interested in your feedback. Thanks, Charlson