Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2013 X5 M Sport and Winter Tire Issue

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by mdeeds71, Apr 9, 2014.

mdeeds71

I have a 2013 X5 with the M-Sport package that came with the 19" performance tires. During the month of December we installed the BMW winter tire package part number 36112211335 that is a 255/55 R18 Dunlop Grandtreck Winter set up. After 1 month we noticed road rash, severe, on both rear wheel flares from the rocker up to 1/2 the distance of the flare and some rash but not as bad on the door panel itself. We took pictures and told our dealership that did the install with no action other than to take a look when they take them off. Today (after 5k in winter miles) we had the tires rotated back to the summer 19" stock wheels/tires. The amount of rash now is extraordinary…think 80k miles on I78/I80 and that is what we have on the front portion of the rear wheels trim and lower rocker. I have not seen this on any other X5 but I have not seen a M-Sport with the winter tire package such as ours. I expect some rash but not this. Looking to see what all the forum may suggest? I am thinking to get BMW USA to take a look and assess it at the dealership. The dealership stated its been a bad winter and this was the result.

I cannot figure why a spec tire/wheel package would create this much road rash. I believe the tire setup just does not work well with the M sport trim and was not fully tested as installed on my vehicle.

Any ideas or insights?

Attached Files:

mdeeds71

Additional photo

Attached Files: