Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Who owns/operates realoem.com?

Discussion in 'DIY (Do-It-Yourself)' started by Brian A, Mar 3, 2008.

Brian A

realoem.com: who owns/operates?

Does anyone know who owns and operates realoem.com?

I was first directed toward it in mid-2006 by a local BMW dealership. It is a great site, but where it came from and what its commercial purpose is is bit mysterious to me.

johnh

I don't know but I hope it stays alive. It does have ads, links, to parts places and such, so I guess that's paying some bills.

91e34m5

Realoem

Comes in very handy...used it last night to order a part today at the dealer. The parts people at the dealership seem appreciative to have a part number to reference when I call.

shadowpuck

whois claims its new york based, with registration out of Arizona.....
    that doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot, but that's whats in the database anyway....

the tracert goes through Germany at one point - interesting!

Louis guest

I don't know who owns & operates the site but I've been using it for years. In the beginning I was always waiting for BMW to shut it down but that never happened. I've also concluded that the prices are just approximations -- sometimes they seem to be right on spot, other times off; but they are useful.

My dealer, and other part suppliers, really appreciate it when I just give them a list of part numbers; the few times there has been a mistake it was my fault for selecting the wrong part. I've not yet found an error in Realoem.

If you haven't been there, it's worth a look (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/)

syrgrad91

Maybe its run by a covert group in BMW to help push the parts business. Just a thought.

bimmerque

This is an awsome site! Let it live! For me as a newby I find this site quite refreshing, because I'm a DIYer... :D

Brian A

A modern day mystery

... so nobody knows.

I emailed the support ID at realoem asking who they were, but no one replied.

The mystery continues ...

M3Driver guest

I think it's run by a group in an abandoned hanger at Area 51. I know, I've seen the black helicopters with little Roundels on them......:D

redbarron

Good question, I have wounder also. But it is one of the best sites if you own a BMW, helps out sooo much.

snikwad guest

Subscribed.

Jeron guest

It redirects to GoDaddy now. I hope it gets fixed.

Kafka guest

Yeah, don't know if they just fell behind in their web hosting bills, or if they got taken down through some legal action.

By the way, they simply provide a web interface to the parts database for Dealers.
    You can get the very same parts (and service) data by going on Ebay ;)
    It's just a little behind (a few years), not exactly up to the minute.

Let's just say that I find (found?) it convenient because you can access it from anywhere.
    Some dealers don't like to provide part numbers (as it allows you to shop around), but this information is impossible to keep secret, it's out there and the more they attempt to repress it, the more widespread it will be.

Bimmerdan

Realoem is working for me? I just logged on to check on a part for my E36 and it's working fine (unless I just had lucky timing?). Is it still not working for you guys?

Kafka guest

It's working for me, too.
    Perhaps they were changing the webhosting company, or lapsed in their payment, or who knows. :eek:

Kafka guest

I'm looking for the rubber that seals the driver side door, on the body side, against the window on the door. This rubber has started to come off, and I am not sure whether it is something I should be able to glue back in place to fix, or replace the whole rubber.

If someone knows off the top of their heads, that'd be most welcome.

Thanks.

McCandless guest

Since the subject of this post is the parts catalog at www.realoem.com, why don't you go look the part number up there? It's quite interesting and you can learn a lot about how your car is put together just from looking at the diagrams.