Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bilstein B8's anyone?

Discussion in 'E46 (1999-2006)' started by mwurman, Jul 14, 2013.

mwurman

So replaced my OE shocks and struts with Bilstein B8 yellows (VE3-B506 and VE3-B507). Of course did new mounts and added reinforcement plates. Awesome ride I must say! For now I stuck with the OE sport springs. I know that these mono tube struts need some time to settle, but i've had them in for now almost 2 months and the car still sits about an inch higher than it should in the front. I know I installed them correctly, I just didnt know if there was anyone who ran into this issue as well, or knows something I dont know? Thanks!

[IMG]

charlson89

If they are installed correctly I would measure the OEM strut compared to the new strut for overall length and see if the new strut is longer this can effect ride height. Also measure your stock ride height and compare it to BMW's spec for your options that your vehicle has.

mwurman

Yeah I know they are installed properly. And if its any help, when i put everything back together, the sway bar end link lined up perfectly to the new strut. I didnt have to adjust it up or down.

charlson89

mwurman

Thanks for the specs. Went and measured the thing. Now according the build sheet, this car does have the sport suspension. I have 17's so my front should be 23.19" and rears should be 21.81". When I measured, the numbers were closer to the standard suspension specs: 23.75" front and 22.55" rear. I know the previous owner had had the coils replaced (by a reputable shop) since i guess a couple of them broke. I know my rear springs have 2 white strips and the fronts a single blue stripe. With searching ive found mixed descriptions of color codes....Maybe they replaced the original springs with standard springs?

[IMG][IMG]

mwurman

You can see at the bottom right. 0270 SPORT PACKAGE

[IMG]

charlson89

Yes your right the dcs does show sport package. And the problem with identifying those stripes is because the aftermarket companies also do the stripes not just BMW. So those could be aftermarket made standard springs like you mentioned.

mwurman

Yeah I think that might be the issue now that we've worked through it...Might get a set of H&R's or Eibachs and just bring it down a little bit. Any recommendations? I dont want to drop it to crazy. I live in NE Ohio lol

charlson89

On my last e46 I had H&R's and loved them the ride quality is great. They also make different versions of there springs to meet your needs. If you want a slight drop (to avoid the ohio weather :rolleyes:, I feel your pain) I would go with there sport springs they are painted black the red ones are there race version and are a lot more agressive springs. Here is a link to them. The eibachs are also a good spring but I have driven vehicles with both types and I thought the H&R were better ride quality while still doing great in spirited driving conditions.

http://www.hrsprings.com/application/search/results/4/106/2001

mwurman

Thanks! i'll look into those. I was leaning toward H&R already, but it helps to know how people like either one.