Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

BMW service manager from Springfield, Massachusetts

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by robisonservice, May 11, 2008.

robisonservice guest

I've just joined the BMWCCA, and this is my first post.

I am known in the automotive world for being the service manager at J E Robison Service in Springfield, MA. We're one of about 17 4-star Bosch Car Service facilities in North America. That means we service Bosch systems on all BMW cars, and we can provide warranty support on Bosch systems on new BMW. We do lots and lots of BMW work.

But I'm also known as an author. I'm the author of Look Me in the Eye - my life with Asperger's, and my brother wrote about me in his bestselling memoir Running With Scissors (made into a movie in 2006) It's kind of ironic . . . I worked 20+ years to make a name in the auto business, but our books are really what we're known for as they're published all over the world.

I am published as John Elder Robison. My brother is published as Augusten Burroughs.

It's an unlikely combination - books and cars. I know. But there it is.

Actually, it makes sense. I'm slightly autistic, and I've always had an unusual ability to connect with machines. I've had a love of cars all my life, and I've been around BMWs most of it, starting with a 2002 I had back in the 1970s. Today, I have a new 2008 535xi and a 2003 540. My brother has had BMWs too, with the last being a 2003 330xi.

Anyway, I am looking forward to participating on the forum.

Any of you that are curious can visit my author blog at http://jerobison.blogspot.com You can find our car company at www.robisonservice.com

If you're into photography, I have a photo site too, at www.pbase.com/robisonphoto Those of you who've read our books know I was on the road with Pink Floyd's sound company in the 1970s and I built many of KISS's effects, so I have quite a few music images up there.

Woof!

Bill Howard

Welcome! You would be a great sounding board for questions about BMW / Bosch technology.

robisonservice guest

Bill, I am very lucky to be backed up by Bosch engineering support. If you have a Bosch system question I'll do my best to answer it and if I can't, I'll ask them.

I've been through most of the Bosch system training, including the new gas direct injection, ABS and braking, SRS and safety, entertainment, and engine systems. And our shop has several Bosch master techs in residence.

az3579

Cool beans. Welcome to the forums!

Are you familiar with older units as well?

robisonservice guest

You asked if I am familiar with older units as well . . . my personal experience working on these cars was all on what you now call "older" units. I personally worked on most everything on the 1960s-early 1990s BMW cars.

After that point, I became a service manager, not a tech and I saw them fixed, right to the present day. So I have slightly different perspectives on older and current vehicles.

I personally drive newer cars - a 2003 540 and a brand new 535xi.