Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

frozen rear wheels on M Roadster

Discussion in 'E85/E86 Z4 M roadster/coupe (2006-2008)' started by JDUBS, May 9, 2008.

JDUBS guest

Had 1200 mile svc at dealer yesterday on 07 M Roadster. On highway tonight at 80 mph, heard a whine from rear, then a thump, then lost about 20+ mph; pulled immediately to break-down lane; lots of blue smoke came from the rear-end when I stopped; I assumed I had a flat. Instead, after flat-bed arrived to tow, realized that all tires were fine but rear wheels were frozen and would not turn. Had to drag it up onto flat-bed even though in neutral, with engine running, with clutch fully pressed. any thoughts?

330indy1

if they changed out the rear diff fluid, did they refill it???

bobver

This doesn't sound good.

JDUBS guest

looks like it was just incompetence

good call. thanks for replying. that's exactly what it was. they had drained it the day before and did not completely refill it, if at all. at least the dealer was honest about it. luckily no one was hurt since the highway was relatively empty and I had all four lanes to work with. i am quite the novice regarding car mechanics, but love to drive them. is there other resulting damage that I should ensure they fix (other than new tires of course) that could also result from the tourqe etc of the experience? I hit triple digits pretty often, should i be concerned about the cars safety after i get it back from the dealer (other than their incompetence!). thanks again

mjweimer

Wow! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Other than replacing the entire differential and the two rear tires, I would make sure they have a very close look at the rear axle CV joints for damage. I would also have them look at the rubber driveshaft coupling (commonly referred to as the Guibo) to make sure it has not cracked or torn.

Above all make sure they very clearly document what happened just in case you experience some type of drive-train failure in the future. This will help you fight any claims they may make of abuse, etc. I know it sounds excessive but it is in your best interest.

Good Luck!

Matt

bradley01 guest

+1 (I don't know why I have to type at least 10 characters...)