Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

leakage into trunk

Discussion in 'E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)' started by ejkayak1, Sep 19, 2011.

ejkayak1 guest

I just purchased a 1997 Z-3 and found out that the trunk gets wet with the rain. I replaced the roof and am hoping that this fixes the issue. Does anyone have any insite into this problem.

2furiousd

trunk

Is your trunk just wet on the floor, or in the battery area?

Some people say it's the third brake light that causes the battery area to accummulate. I have that same issue. I know there is a drip from the third brake light on my Z, that I'm sure doesn't help keep anything dry, it's not the cause.

I think rain in the battery area is caused by clogged drains somewhere around the back of the soft top. My reasoning for this thought is that when the hard top is on and it rains, there is no accummulation in the battery area. When the soft top is up and it rains, there is water in the battery area.

I hope this helps. I have not explored a fix, but I'm sure there is one.

bryanclar

It's your tailight...

I'm way late to this and hopefully you've already fixed it, but I can almost guarantee it's the gasket around your third brake light in the trunk lid. It happens to almost all of them. You can either replace the gasket or use some rubber conditioner (gummi phlege equivalent) to restore it. Try roadfly.com and/or bimmerforums.com for more good info.

TeamStowell We love driving!

We have learned to love our leaks.... we raise koi in out E30 trunk, our E24 glove box and in our E46 front turn signal. Beverly always said she wanted a koi pond!