Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

another qustion on 530i auto trans

Discussion in 'E60 (2004-2010)' started by fmanke, Oct 29, 2010.

fmanke

I have a 2007 530i CPO, that we bought this year. This car is still under BMW warranty until 12/26/10. My problem is when it is cold (35 degrees), and I first start out with car and come up to a stop sign it feels like it shifts into neutral. Then when I try to accelerate, it pauses and then jerks a little at about 5 mph. After it warms up, there is no problem. It always seems to pause some when it first accelerates. I have had the car into BMW about this before, and they don't find any problems. The jerky delayed shifting happens when the car is cold. Is this common with these cars when they start out cold? I am going to take the car back to BMW in a couple of weeks when it is a lot colder. I have a strange feeling that the transmission will go on this car after it is out of warranty. I didn't purchase the extended warranty, but I did purchase the service contract for oil changes. Does anybody have any suggestions.

tiFreak

not sure if it's anything like the older automatic boxes but I've heard that they shift like that in the cold to protect the components from wear until everything gets warmed up

fmanke

Thanks for the response. That makes sense to have it engineered into the car's system for protecting it from any damage due to the cold temp. Would it make sense to let the car idle for a couple of minutes before driving it? BMW Motorwerks, Minneapolis has been very good for warranty service. I do want to make sure that everything is OK with the car before it is out of warranty. At the same time, I want to be a good customer, and not make a pest out of myself by making unwarranted complaints. MY wife and I are very happy with this car.

tiFreak

it wouldn't hurt to let it run, if nothing else at least you're getting into a warm car

jrpisha

Interesting that you're bring this up; my 2008 550i w auto/steptronic did exactly this to me the other morning. The temp was just under 30 degree F, and I had let the car idle for a minute or two. I figured it was one of those ghosts in the machine that seem to pop up now and then in the electronic systems of my car.

I'll be interested to hear if your dealer can fix this. Mine could not.

Best,

John