Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Open Sesame

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by BimmerBrad, Apr 22, 2010.

BimmerBrad

I've had this happen a couple of times now, during "spirited driving" on some undulating country roads, all below the posted speed limit and complying will all laws, regulations and ordinances mind you, I've had the driver's door pop open to the safety catch. This usually happens after cresting a bit of a rise. Now I know convertibles are not as rigid as a fixed roof car, but I've never had this happen before on any car. Is this just an adjustment thing or a worn part or may it be indicating some type of frame damage unrevealed/undetected by the previous owner and/or dealer?

330indy1

weird! and concerning!!
    I would have a dealer check the door latch, bolts and catch. Something must be loose.:eek:

BimmerBrad

Yes, it is very strange. The door closes with the usual thunk and I can shake, tug it and well, you get the picture (hopefully the right one) all day and it doesn't move.

epbrown01

The Z4 is one of the more rigid convertibles, so I'm amazed this is happening, but what you're describing does sound like serious chassis flex. I haven't heard of a car doing this since the 1970s. :eek: