Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

05 M3 Battery Light

Discussion in 'Warranty questions' started by ozdenkm, Mar 28, 2010.

ozdenkm guest

I keep getting a red battery light on the dashboard. It comes on every time I drive it but only for a few seconds to a couple minutes at a time. Sometimes it comes on right away and sometimes not for 30 minutes.. From what I have read it is an indicator that the alternator is going out. I have taken it to the dealership twice and they said they can't find a problem. They said it's probably because of my aftermarket lights and amp, but this was happening before all that was installed. The warranty on the car is going to run out soon and I don't want to be stuck with a dead alternator. Ive heard they are like $1200 with labor from the dealer. What do you guys suggest I do? There is another dealer in the area, that I may have more luck with..

Zeichen311

What I would do:
    1. Remove the aftermarket lights and amp (and all evidence they were installed).
    2. Wait for the problem to recur.
    3. Bring it to dealer #2 and hope they have better luck diagnosing it.
    I know you probably don't want to hear step #1 but this is the risk with installing any aftermarket part on a car under warranty. Unless you have service records to document the existence of the problem before the accessories were installed (dated invoices for service and the accessory parts), you are unarmed in any battle to prove the mods are not at fault.

You can always reinstall the mods after the warranty expires. Until then, they are a magnet for the "not our fault" argument, justified or not.

ozdenkm guest

I just called dealer #2 and they say its not covered under CPO warranty... Isn't this covered by engine or electrical issues?

Oh and also the airbag light is coming on now... Also said it wasnt covered. What are these warranties worth...

bcweir

As much as I hate adding to their plate, we do have an ombudsman...

Ombudsman typically acts as an intermediary between BMW car owners and BMW service providers.

Worth a try IF you have tried all other methods of resolving a service related issue.