Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Potential X3 Buy

Discussion in 'E83 X3 (2004-2010)' started by bsiuru, Oct 18, 2009.

bsiuru guest

I am considering a used X3. I have a Z4 2,5i which I love, but need more room to carry my grandsons now that I have sold a camper van. Want AWD because we will be taking them snowboarding in the mountains. I live in Southern California so there are lots of 2 to 5 year old ones with high freeway miles (50 to 60 K) at reasonable prices, naturally rust is not a problem. I'm retired so the X3 will not be driven many miles yearly. I drive my Z4 about 3,000 annually and its my only car. Will be keeping the Z4!

1. Any recommendations on higher mileage X3s? Years to avoid?
    2. I've heard compliants about automatic transmission? I have to have an automatic. Is this the same transmission as in my Z4, which I find no problem with,
    3. Do X3 have run flats?
    4. Not interested in a CPO, since I plan to buy from CarMax. I bought my Z4 from them - the car was completely flawless and the experience was by the far the best, and I have bought 50 cars in my life.
    5, Any other suggestions?

BIMMIR guest

I had an X3, but preferred a sedan. But, here are some things I know and learned.
    If you can afford to, don"t buy an early model run car, there were issues. If you can, do a 2007 or newer. I won't comment on tranny as you've made that decision already, and I don't know the answer to your question.
    Good news - X3's do not have run flats and they do have a spare in the back under the deck.
    Mine had a heated steering wheel which seemed odd at first but was great here in Maine in the winter. If you can get ne with the large panaramic moon roof it is nice.
    For a wagon, or SUV/SAV, it handles better than you might expect.

Good luck with your search and decision.

Tim

nweigen

X-3 purchase ??

Hi,

In answer to your question regarding a pre-owned X-3;

We purchased our 2004 X-3 new and it was one of the early ones. Yes, we had a few problems but nothing serious, we still own the vehicle which now has 47,000. miles on the odo, we love the car. It still feels and looks like new and still delivers lots of pleasure.

We have the 2.5i, premium package with automatic, tinted windows, and no winter package.

We live in S.Fla and X-3s are all over the place, because of this, the dealers are flooded with them. Try looking for a BMW CPO from A BMW dealer, you can get a club discount and probably a front line vehicle and a larger selection in addition to a dealer service history.

I would suggest shopping for one with the newer 6-speed auto with the 3.0 liter engine and 2006 or newer as the previous years had a stiffer suspension (which I personaly don't mind).

My daughter has an 05 with the larger engine and it has a little more guts on the highway with almost the same fuel economy. Look for the premium package as it includes lots of good things, tinted windows will keep the car cooler but NO BRIDGESTONE TIRES !

Over all I think you are making the right decission, you will be very happy with the choice

Feel free to write with any questions, good luck,

Norm...

Masaaki Takeda

What to avoid about purchasing X3

1. Any recommendations on higher mileage X3s? Years to avoid?
    2. I've heard compliants about automatic transmission? I have to have an automatic. Is this the same transmission as in my Z4, which I find no problem with,
    3. Do X3 have run flats?
    4. Not interested in a CPO, since I plan to buy from CarMax. I bought my Z4 from them - the car was completely flawless and the experience was by the far the best, and I have bought 50 cars in my life.
    5, Any other suggestions?[/QUOTE]

Dear Friend,
    I own 2004 X3 and still have it enjoying driving it. The only complaint about earlier version
    of X3 is that suspension, mine with a sport package. It provides too harsh ride and pitching
    is quite obvious. I heard re-newed version of X3 (model year 2007 onward) slightly modified
    suspension configulation which delivers btter riding quality.
    Masaaki Takeda

TurboTom

Hi there. I purchased a used 2007 X3 3.0si yesterday. It is an automatic with all possible options incl. sport pkg. Needless to say this vehicle won't see much snow, if any. The 2007 and newer "si" vehicles have more horsepower and torque. 260hp/225lb ft. A huge improvement especially if you plan to operate at altitude. It is a CPO vehicle with only 20k miles. I am just now filling out the Reward Program form. $500 cash will feel pretty good in my pocket. Also BMW now has a nother program in place where you can get 2.9% financing AND they pick up the first two payments up to $2000. for a total savings of $2500 off the best deal you can make with the dealer. There happens to be a glut of used X3"s right now so, HAPPY HUNTING.
    "Turbo Tom"

bsiuru guest

X3 Purchase

I purchased a 2007 Saab 9-7x yesterday. 22K mile with every option and 5.3 liter V8. The price was right - $10,000 less than a comparable X3. I know it is a "Trollblazer", but handles and perform much better than I expected. Actually, almost as good as the 9-3 I had before I bought my Z4, which I am keeping.

danholm

We have a 05' with the 3.0 and automatic. Ordered this car so we could get exactly what we want. No leather and aluminum trim, zenon (sp) lights. The lights are fantastic, and the sensoteck or whatever they call the non leather wears very well, and we don't mind if it gets wet.

Have had no serious problems in 56K miles. A dampness on the drivers floor came about, but went away when the drains were blown out. Sunroof rattled and was fixed, Hood pad shrunk and was replaced. A couple of sat radios. Very solid and well built.

I'm not sure why some say the earlier models had problems. Myself, I find the newer "softer" suspension makes the vehicle feel heavier. I like the suspension on ours. It's my wife's car, and she comments on the predicable handling. I was hoping she would notice.

24MPG highway. 400 miles per tank. Good luck.

dan