Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

Bavarian Auto Recycling

Discussion in 'E34 (1989-1995)' started by 109941, Oct 17, 2009.

Hello,

Has anyone on the forum had experience with Bavarian Auto Recycling? I'm thinking of going the salvage route to replace my "de-laminated" door panels.

Thanks

John in VA

If you're referring to the outfit in Rancho Cordova, I've heard of problems with engines and mechanical parts not being as advertised, as well as slow shipment. I haven't personally dealt with them. You might be more comfortable if you can get a look at your parts before making your purchase.

MGarrison

Last time that I tried to do anything with them, I saw they had a parts car with the color parts I needed (a front bumper cover, as I recall) in inventory. However, their policy was with something like that which could be painted to match, they couldn't bother to find and sell to you something in a specific color you might request. Kinda dumb, I thought; the only reason I was interested in a used part was if it was already the right color and save the expense and hassle of painting to match. If I was going to have to paint it, I might as well buy a new replacement part.

Hopefully they have a different policy for interior trim parts - it would be exceedingly dumb to not offer interior trim in a requested color if they have it available.

However - if the latest E34 parts you're going to be able to get are '94-'95 parts (14 yrs old at the youngest?) how likely is it any of the used panels aren't equally deteriorated? I hope so for your sake, as it never hurts to ask. Let us know what you find, I have the same problem w/ my E34!

TeamStowell We love driving!

Last year I picked up a window motor from them for our 83 E24 Euro with no issues.... timely delivery, worked as promised, and did not feel ripped off.

Johan guest

I used them to find a window switch, I got the switch ok and all but it was so filthy I was afraid it wouldnt work. It did and I did get it cleaned up. I had also spoken with them when I was attempting to do a 5 speed manual swap from my auto. The only thing the guy on the other end of the phone was interested in was how much I paid and where I got it. I guess if I had to I would use them again but only if I couldnt get the part some other way. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Johan

Follow-up

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered the salvage door panels, or I should say attempted too. A few weeks ago, I called Bavarian Auto Recycling and got a price of $150 per panel plus ~43 S+H per panel. I checked around at other sources, posted to this forum for input and, basically, dealt with all the other stuff in this thing we call Life. So, yesterday was the big day and I was all primed with credit card in hand. Made the call, got the salesman, got a price and said oh-crap..........$250 per panel plus $45 S+H for a total of $295 per panel.......and it ain't new.

So, I'm off to plan B, whatever that may be.

BIMMIR guest

For that kind of money can they be recovered by an apholestry (I know -spelling) shop if they have a similar material to your seats?

I know it's a different process and type of material. But, take a look at the attached photo. You can click to enlarge it. This is an '86 E30 that happens to be for sale on this website. This photo shows the treatment I'm suggesting. No it is not original, but it is well done. (As is this entire car)

If you or anyone else knows of a shop that would tackle e34 panels, I would be very interested.

TeamStowell We love driving!

We have a several shops in Albany NY that has been used by members, including myself. Very good work but not the quickest turn around time. If you want I can send you some contact information.

John in VA

Any info would be appreciated. According to my local dealership, the e34 and e36 series both suffer from this ailment. My local upholstry shop, which has a good reputation for classic car and private aircraft interior restoration, will not touch these models (or several other makes with similiar door panel construction) due to repeated failed repairs.

joe difabbio guest

i used them last year for an abs unit, dealer wanted $2700, they had complete unit for $300! it came in afew days,like new and a one year warrenty! I would use them any time....

Autohaus guest

$295 per door panel :rolleyes:. Have you tried any local junkyards? I have dealth with them and whenever I get a price quote I make sure I get the name of the rep and his/her extension so they will honor the original/first price that is given when I call back. I have ordered a cylinder head for my 535i with a lifetime warranty and the item arrived quickly. I have also purchased a used ECU for my e28 that lasted only a few years, though. IMO I would go to them for engine, transmissions and driveshafts as long as you get the lifetime warranty which will help you out in the end. All other parts such as interior parts, exterior, etc... are way overpriced.

JimAvery guest

I ordered a part for our 325iT on May 15th. At that time, Tony G. of Bavarian Auto Recycling said to expect it in 7 days. At 10 days (25th), I emailed Tony for any updates or tracking info. He emailed back that he would "check into it and get back to me". As of today, June 1, all my emails and voice mails (you never get anyone on the phone) have been ignored. We are currently disputing/reversing the $430+ charge with our credit card carrier. I would never use them again or recommend them. Buyer definitely beware! There is no such thing as customer service at this business.
    Jim Avery
    Destin, FL.

308581 guest

I've heard nothing but negative feedback about this outfit. $295 per panel? That's outrageous. I picked up a set of 1995 panels that were in primo shape from the local yard earlier this month. I paid less than $100 for all 4.

granthr

Late to the party here, but try CR's BMW Wholesale in Newville, PA. He has a quite a few parts cars, long shot b/c he doesn't have a huge lot like Bavarian, but might as well try it. He is honest and great to deal with. His phone number is 717-776-6699