Hello there and welcome to the BMW Car Club of America.

If you are a BMW CCA member, please log in and introduce yourself in our Member Introductions section.

2009 Z4

Discussion in 'E85 Z4 (2002-2008)' started by MPHCPA, Aug 27, 2009.

az3579

Fully agreed.

See previous statement. :D

Beg to differ. lol

Under Bangle's rule, there were lots of controvesial designs that came from BMW. But, since he left, all the new models (F01, E89) I find to be drop-dead gorgeous, and a lot more agreed-on in its styling. Even though many didn't like some of the designs under his rule, you have to admit that he did take BMW into quite a different direction. Take a look at the E46 for example; my gawd that's a good looking car (in my opinion), much different to the E36 and the E30. Without him, I don't think BMW would have been anywhere near the direction of the new E89, for example. If that was the case, I'd be one sad camper, because I wouldn't be able to look forward to buying an E89 M-Roadster down the road (come on BMW, I know you can make it! Do it!!)...

epbrown01

Oh, man, the TC Kline was awful to me - their design was the equivalent of Jessica Alba's decision to go blonde for a while; taking something striking and trying to make it bland and homogenized. The new car is more successful at blending in with everything else (which seems to be the design goal for this generation), but I prefer the stand-out cars. The E86 and E60 are just rolling artwork, and while I like the E65/E66, I never got all the fuss - to me it was just another big sedan.

BimmerBrad

I find they are reverting to the same old boring non styling of before. Dull, dull, dull. FWIW.
    I guess we will all be driving great performing cars with no pizzaz and questionable electronics for the foreseeable future.

lcjhnsn

OK at the risk of going (way) off topic here...

Have any of you who think BMW has gone back to bland non-controversial styling had a look at a 535 Gran Turismo??

tiFreak

I have to admit, I really hated that when I first saw it but it's kinda grown on me, similar styling to the X6 with much better proportions, my only problem is that I don't think they'll offer it with a third pedal :(

az3579

You're probably right.
    The manual transmission is dying, and none of the manufacturers seem to care. :mad:

330indy1

I don't mind because it makes the E85/86 more distinctive, and it is and was meant to be polarizing. The design has aged well, still looks modern and will for a time to come. The E89 IMO will not age so well. The key of the E46 is it's timeless. The E90 not so much.
    That is the measure for me. How does it look years down the road? That is important to me because I like to keep the keepers.

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Well put!

Indeed! I always squint when reading people's opinions of styling, because it's such a subjective issue. Consider the many generations of Corvettes: I still love the '61 best of all. Z3 fans really think it's better-looking than the Z4; we Z4 junkies are always amazed at how some people hate the looks of our cars.

I like how the designers went back to the Z3 as well as the Z4 for some elements of the E89 Z4, like the wrap-over hood; somebody told me that's the single biggest stamping by BMW, including the hood of the Rolls-Royce!

In any case, to me, the Z4 is a keeper; I expect to be buried in mine. Unless BMW Financial grabs it. . . but I'm assuming I can pay it off by then!
    :eek:

Zeichen311

Fully agree. I've also begun to notice that by this measure, the mid-lifetime facelifts are more dramatic than they seem at first blush. Little things like a character line, the placement of a marker light, the direction of a taper..all add up to more than you'd expect, years down the road.

The original E46 is gorgeous, the E46 LCI a little less so. Oddly, it then went the other way: I find the E90 is beginning to look dated and bland, whereas the E90 LCI brought back some of the character that made the E46 ageless. Time will tell, but I think it's much improved. Comparing it in photos with the F10, I once again see that "family resemblance" the E38, E39 and E46 all shared. Sweet!

z4luvr

Every time I see a Z3 coupe, I think that beauty must be in the eye of the beholder, because to me, it puts the UG in UGLY.

BimmerBrad

After awhile I've found that they have begun to grow on me; kind of like a fungus.

epbrown01

Really? I'd happily own both, as both very definitely have character. The chief reason I bought my first Z4 roadster over the Z3 roadster wasn't looks, it was the chassis advancements. I've never seen such a dramatic improvement between generations.

BimmerBrad

Actually, if I could not have afforded the Z4 I probably would have purchased a Z3. I'd happily own both as well, but then I'd be single again wouldn't I? ; )

Satch SoSoCalifortified

Why the Z4 is not a refurbished Z3

The Z4 chassis was a dramatic improvement; in fact, the Z4 coupe is probably BMW's best chassis to date. But few Z3 fans get anywhere close to the limits of what I call the "two-stage" rear suspension of that car, so they don't really perceive---or need---any improvement.

Of course, I drive my roadster in such weenie mode that I rarely use its potential, either, except in the autocross. Just three weeks to the next one!

Oh, right: You poor sweet dears are still enjoying winter, aren't you?!

BimmerBrad

Well, we are only supposed to get 10" - 12" of snow today.

z4luvr

The Z3 Roadster looks OK. Its just the Z3 Coupe that looks like a pregnant guppy. The Z4 Coupe looks incredibly great by comparison.

Its not supposed to warm up for a week here, but I am sure we will be top down for the next 10 months after this cold / wet snap we just had here in Texas.

az3579

It's funny how much our opinions on this forum vary about the Z3's styling. I actually think it's the other way around, with the roadster being the ugly one and the coupe being the gorgeous one. I guess I just have a thing for coupes... :)

BimmerBrad

Opinions are like cheese. Some are hard and some are soft, some have holes in them and some don't and some are sweet and some just downright stink.

330indy1

LOL
    :D:D:D